Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

Ibra wrote:

Also, the 2nd way is NXI & GIA64W if you are happy to donate your left wing & left rudder and then fly on right sideslip on whatever left

But even that is just theoretically possible because you need airframe manufacturer to order appropriate software development from Garmin which can take years for delivery.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The GIA63W is worth at least 100k just in the connectors

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

But even that is just theoretically possible because you need airframe manufacturer to order appropriate software development from Garmin which can take years for delivery.

Yes it’s very theoritical for Mooneys & Diamonds but for powerful manufacturers (e.g. KingAir, TBM, Citation, Phenom) it’s 6 month timeframe

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Jul 13:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Yes it’s very theoritical for Mooneys & Diamonds but for powerful manufacturers (e.g. KingAir, TBM, Citation, Phenom) it’s 6 month timeframe

I’ve been trying for two years to put it on Diamond’s agenda for DA42 TDI without success. Initially they agreed and priced it 180k and they simply canceled it without any explanation. The truth is that DA42 TDI with G1000 NXi (especially with CD-155 engines) would be serious competition to their DA42-VI (which is priced well over 1 million, compared to 550-600k which would be the price of zero timed TDI with NXi upgrade).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

The truth is that DA42 TDI with G1000 NXi (especially with CD-155 engines) would be serious competition to their DA42-VI (which is priced well over 1 million, compared to 550-600k which would be the price of zero timed TDI with NXi upgrade)

Yes TDI with CD155 & Avionics does get one very near VI (if one wants to pay +400k to get VI name printed on AFM after bit of bugs aeodynamics they could ), but for avionics only, I am suprised they did not went down that road: at least for DA42TDI used in training where lack of HP or cruise speed is not an issue but the lack of LPV to tick 3D approaches is a serious one? but not sure if they are the kind of clients who would put +180k to get WAAS…

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Jul 14:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

NXI and KAP140
Cessna modification
Not my aircraft :-)

Peter wrote:

Apparently, to update a non-W G1000 you just need a GIA63W and nothing else. Is this correct?

You need two GIA63W…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Two GIA63W, two WAAS antennas, one optional XM weather if it was built in the old nonWAAS antenna, and a software update.

It’s a simple operation, probably less than 10h of manpower. Nothing to compare with huge avionic project where you have to strip down the aircraft and redesign cables map.

The problem is that the GIA63W are scarce on the market. If upper end aircraft moves to NXI with GIA64 (I think there are some advantages with -64 but I don’t know them), we may see more GIA63W second hand.

If you look eBay, you can see plenty GIA63 for 1k$ or so.
All included I would not invest more than 8-10k€ for such an upgrade and would probably give a second thought…

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 05 Jul 19:45

I can get a GIA36W no problem.

The installation is more complicated… this box isn’t just a “GNS530W” – it is more or less the whole G1000. If you pull one out of say a C182, the G1000 will power up saying “I am a C182”, etc. You would need the WAAS-DA42 software to load into it.

I’ve discussed this with somebody who knows quite a lot about it and it would need the help of somebody with the right access (a lot of dealers have various copies of the G1000 software, archived) and/or access to a WAAS-DA42 to extract the software out of (which may not be possible).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message