Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

This is probably how Diamond has done WAAS upgrade for KAP140 based DA42 (besides replacing GIA63 with GIA63W). I believe they made few upgrades of this kind.

They have no choice because the old autopilots accept only analog deviations, for lateral (VOR or LOC) and vertical (GS).

The KFC225, developed c. 2000, can accept digital (ARINC429) lateral deviations but vertical still have to be analog. In fact I am not sure if it can fly an ILS (it pre-dates LPV) with ARINC429 doing the lateral…

Only the very latest autopilots can accept digital (ARINC429) for both L and V, and only the latest navigators can output this. The GNS / GNS-W boxes I am not sure about, but would be amazed if they can do digital GS, and same goes for the original G1000.

In reality any autopilot which can fly analog L and V can fly LPV if you wire it up so it can’t tell the difference Not likely STC compliant though This is not useful with a G1000 aircraft but the Sandel SN3500 will do exactly that for you. It takes ARINC429 L and V and outputs a roll-steered analog for an old autopilot. The autopilot doesn’t need to know if the nav is GPS or ILS. And the STC covers this!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Is it really necessary?

For me at this moment I guess not. The majority of airports with RNAV only approaches, where I fly to, have LNAV minima 500-600 ft which I consider quite OK. If the conditions are worse I’ll fly to alternate which I’ll chose to have ILS and 200 ft MDA. However, I believe that this is important for maintaining resale value of the aircraft especially in the future.

I wonder if sometimes, a significant amount of GIA63W will hit the used market, due to owners upgrading to NXI or needing to move to GIA64W for some reason.

Those will probably be taken by Garmin, refurbished and mad available to service network rather than sold for upgrades.

Last Edited by Emir at 10 Apr 08:37
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Is there a way yet to upgrade a DA40 to g1000 NXi ?

LPV is maybe more necessary in Northern Europe

LFOU, France

I have 2 NOS GIA63W without papers if anybody needs to upgrade a G1000 system (or G900, or G3000 actually). EASA & FAA papers could be obtained from Garmin if needed.

Last Edited by wleferrand at 10 Apr 09:37

I knew they would finally appear on the market !!

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 10 Apr 11:57

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

I knew they would finally appear on the market !!

Pretty faster than you expected

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Jujupilote wrote:

Is there a way yet to upgrade a DA40 to g1000 NXi ?

I don’t think so but I’ll have some info after Aero. Did you register (or ask operator/owner to register) this DA40 in our petition table?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I sent him the link this morning.

LFOU, France

wleferrand wrote
“I have 2 NOS GIA63W without papers if anybody needs to upgrade a G1000 system (or G900, or G3000 actually). EASA & FAA papers could be obtained from Garmin if needed.”

I am interested in your GIA63W, for a DA40.

Peter wrote:

Now you can only select between bad (no roll steer) or bad (no vertical LPV).

@Emir wrote:

Peter wrote:

LPV analogs are used as fake ILS signals as LOC/GS (this is common).
This is probably how Diamond has done WAAS upgrade for KAP140 based DA42

Does that mean that during the upgrade of KAP140 DA42, Diamond accepted to lose roll steering to get AP coupling vertical LPV ?

Sign in to add your message