Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Major European airports which welcome GA...

Especially curious about Seville

Nothing special. There are three issues with Seville:

• They're rather inefficiently organised. The AIS office is air-side, so you need to go through security to pay the fees, then leave the secured area, walk outside the airport perimeter to another security gate closer to the GA apron. So plan enough time.

• When coming from outside the EU or leaving the EU, handling and slots become mandatory

• AVGAS is around 3€/Liter

I would recommend anyone going to Spain to have a look at the rather good AIP (e.g. through EAD). There's lots of useful information in there, such as exact circumstances when handling becomes mandatory, phone numbers for refuelling, etc.

LSZK, Switzerland

Hamburg is EDDH ;-) missing EDDT group 1 and EDDC group 2

EDAZ

tomjnx I've been flying in southern Spain for about 15 years now and know Seville well (too well, perhaps...). They must have changed something in the not so distant past, as not too long ago they had charges (all added together) of about EUR 150.- for a SEP. And that's coming from within Spain! What may have changed there is the handling....

Anyway, some good news for a change!

Barcelona (which are off-limits to SEP anyway, AFAIK

It isn't but the mandatory handling makes it very expensive. And it is not for the faint hearted as the taxi instructions are very complicated.

EGTK Oxford

Should have been more precise - no VFR at Barcelona.

"jokers" who want to pay 3 figures for an unusual logbook entry ............

.......... Look at Prague LKPR - up from ~ €50 in 2005 (and loads of GA planes parked there) to €200 in 2013 (just 1, and me).

;)

EGSC

Well spotted

Actually I don't too much mind paying €200 for a purely one-off job. For example Justine once asked "can we fly to Albania?" So, weeks later getting the PPR, I flew to Tirana... €200 or so. The bill even includes runway lighting (apparently the place is run by a British manager).

But one-off trips will never feed an airport's GA activity. There are nowhere near enough pilots in Europe to deliver enough traffic if each one flies to Place X only say once every few years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@ 172driver

quite a while ago I found this

*Spain also makes significant airport fee reductions for GA * ... After the latest meeting with the financial management of the Spanish government's airport-owning organisation Aena Airports, an agreement was closed with the general aviation sector on the level of fees charged at airports in the Aena network during 2014. ...From €90, a level reached in 2011, the minimum in this category is expected to be reduced to €22.50 for the year 2014.

more details:

EDxx, Germany

nobbi - I stand happily corrected! What the article doesn't say is if they have also eliminated the mandatory handling. I'll be flying again in Spain before Xmas and will check it out in detail and report back.

I flew into Bratislava in 2012, paid around €58 for overnight parking / landing fees etc (PA28). However what really amused me was when I turned up at the general aviation terminal the following day, or rather, what happened when my baggage was inspected.

Now, I've got no problem with that except for the fact that I took my pilot's bag with me the prior evening to complete my logs and prepare the next flight to Budaoersch in Hungary. In that bag I have a swiss army knife which I use the bottle opener extension as a lever if I find Superman has tightened down the oil dipstick too firmly. The security operative then pounced on this knife and said he would have to confiscate it as "lethal weapons are not allowed on a plane" - I tried reasoning with him that as I was alone in the pane, I could do more damage by taking off and crashing it deliberately into a building than by slashing my throat with a swiss army knife.....

Eventually a supervisor stepped in and allowed me to proceed with my trusty Swiss army knife, after all, the GA is separated from CAT so no risk of me handing the knife to a terrorist in the passenger terminal.....

EDL*, Germany
Sign in to add your message