Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Major European airports which welcome GA...

I would argue that we are not pushed out of larger airports for money, I would argue that few in our community can be sure of the real reason that we are pushed from the airports. I certainly don't, I am just looking at the information provided by the community and questioning it, because to me it doesn't make sense!

Unless you can get an airport manager who kicked out GA to openly state why (which is highly unlikely to happen because it would make him look in a very poor light) all you will get is anecdotal evidence...

At one UK airport, the manager calls piston GA "dirty". Well, yes, a C172 parked outdoors (the only option) for a few years will be dirty compared to Donald Trump's $50M jet. Not even an University of Upper Warlingham MBA holder should think that way, but evidently some do. So I think this is one factor - the glamour of jets and their glittery clients with designer handbags, etc. The solution? Build a dedicated GA terminal (a portacabin) a little distance away. Their cash is as good as anybody else's.

Another is the constant bickering from GA, organising which tends to be like herding cats. I don't know about Europe but in the UK there is a powerful "I am allright Jack" factor. People don't pull in the same direction. I think that comes from the constant pressure which GA is subjected to, from every direction. One got the same behaviour in communist countries where there was similar pressure on everybody just trying to live a simple life. In GA a "simple life" is a runway, a hangar, getting half decent maintenance done, and a reasonable security of tenure because most owner-pilots do not have another airport they can move to within a reasonable distance. So GA doesn't do itself many favours...

It may cost $10/ton, in direct cost. But what about indirect costs to the environment in the higher fossil fuel usage to transport the items, and then social costs in the local area of job losses and less people to purchase local items, or afford to fly for example, our accounting systems can not see that impact because of the way they are setup...

Well, sure, but one can't expect an individual company to care for that. Actually things are changing, the Chinese are getting fat and lazy, and a lot of work is being moved back from China which will in turn see a sizeable collapse in its small-company economy. Small firms are now going bust over there at a huge rate...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am allright Jack

a bit off thread but, thank you Peter for the Urban Dictionary. About 15 years ago a friend of mine from Reunion who had been living for some years in London mentioned that my nickname had a special meaning in English. I never investigated it. Now I found it under "Names" in the Urban Dictionary ...

Nobbi

badass, amazing, overwhelming, incredible...etc...basically a superior being, or object. john:bro did you see that dude!??! (man jumping off of cliff doing flips) tom:yea man that was nobbi!! john:i know right! i wish i could be nobbi! tom: you can bro! just go ask him (the man) how he did it!

What a pity that I'm already 64 ...

(Do I have to change my name now?)

EDxx, Germany

I've never heard that meaning myself when spelt that way.

Of course the very similarly pronounced "knob" has a whole collection of meanings I am especially thinking of #7 here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

think that "K" is only worth something if you find it behind a number, e.g. 10K (hopefully €)

( in German the diminutive of Norbert is sometimes Nobbi )

EDxx, Germany
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message