Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maule 180HP for towing gliders?

I should add that climb (and cruise) performance is marginally better if I switch to little “pizza cutter” 8.50×6 tyres instead of 31” bushwheels. On the other hand, “carrying your runway with you” makes landing out and retrieving gliders from soft unimproved fields a non-event.

Thanks for the info, so round about the same values I see with the Morane.

Yes, I’ve never flown a Rallye, but imagine that the performance is similar.

My Maule has a heap of IFR and autopilot gubbins not required for glider towing. It also has the short wing. If you find a lighter 180 hp Maule with the “universal” wing, it should perform a little better – say roughly on a par with a SuperCub or Husky.

On a hot day, I find engine cooling is a limiting factor with the Maule. Hence the use of flaps. Since it’s my own airplane, I don’t like to climb with any CHT much over 400 F.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Here in Italy aeroclub Belluno (LIDB) is using a Maule MXT-7-180 for towing gliders. It is OK.

LIDB LIPH, Italy

Jacko wrote:

With the MX-7-180’s 30’11” wing and 31” Bushwheels climb rate is around 300 ft/min. Engine cooling is usually OK with some flap and the factory lower cowling lip modification.

Thanks for the info, so round about the same values I see with the Morane.

EDNR, Germany

I believe Jacko does occasional aerotowing with his 180hp Maule. He could probably answer your questions

Yes, and yes.

With the MX-7-180’s 30’11” wing and 31” Bushwheels climb rate is around 300 ft/min. Engine cooling is usually OK with some flap and the factory lower cowling lip modification.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

How much would it cost to add a constant speed prop to a 180 HP Rallye with O-360?

Tököl LHTL

If you want a Rallye 235E with a tow hook let me know. Very few if any Rallye parts should need to come from Socata. Second hand market is very active for spares. Adding a CS prop to any aeroplane is night and day when it comes to take off/climb performance. The guy we bought the 235E off says he’s flown them all and there is no comparison.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

180 HP Rallyes work for towing. I suspect a Maule should do ok with the caveat you never go wrong g with more power.

Tököl LHTL

I believe Jacko does occasional aerotowing with his 180hp Maule. He could probably answer your questions

Well one reason would be a higher empty weight as a Remoquer or Husky. We have currently a Rally 180HP in our club, but the permormance is not the best (around 250 to 300ft/min) and also the insane prices and leading times from Socata are a reason we want to get a new tow plane.

EDNR, Germany

Can’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work.

ESSZ, Sweden
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message