Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MEP flying solo under FI/CRI supervision

A CRI can’t do ab initio PPL training anyway.

Sure you could do a PPL in a twin. Not in the UK and probably not in Europe anywhere in last 20-30 years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Its a long time ago for me too, bit IIRC it was possible to do PPL (MEPA) at the time and yes you could do signed off solos just as with an SEP. However I think the instructor had to be an FI on MEPs and could not be a CRI.
Nowadays, even doing it in your own aircraft would be both difficult and expensive as it would have to be done in an ATO. I doubt many DTO’s do MEP training.
I got caught up in this sort of problem when I tried to do my NVFR in my twin.
The rules had just changed and whilst I could do NVFR in a single with a freelance instructor, that same instructor who was FI FE CRI CRE IRI IRE and type rating instructor on King Airs was not allowed to do my NVFR unless it was through an ATO.
I had completed 3 hours of NVFR training in the twin when the rule change came about and I had to start again.

Last Edited by gallois at 31 Oct 07:51
France

I imagine his insurance was heavy

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes. It was a long time ago and if I remember correctly the chap had to do 70 hours supervised solo as part of the ppl course before he could get his ppl(mep) issued.

He didnt hold an sep rating. Did it all on the twin.

Last Edited by Bathman at 30 Oct 21:37

That make sense for PPL(MEP) !

How about someone doing MEP course, can they get sent solo?

You can do a PPL in an MEP but it’s going back a few years.

I think you need 70 hours PIC on the MEP before you can get a PPL(MEP) issued.

They do solo on an SEP, no solo on MEP, although in the USA some ATP schools have some MEP hour building solo post CPL.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes you can do PPL dual on MEP, can you fly solo?

I know someone who did dual on N-reg Beech 18 but no solo on it, he flew EASA-reg T6 Harvard for his solos (I forgot to add, he is a prince)

Most integrated courses the students get an MEP CPL without an SEP class rating.

They can’t fly DA42 solo on MPL papers from integrated courses?

PS: this is a real case study

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Oct 19:52

No reason why you need a PPL if receiving dual. Most integrated courses the students get an MEP CPL without an SEP class rating.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

You mean: can one do a PPL wholly in a twin?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message