Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Metars this afternoon

I got picked up by the police after landing back from Lelystad once. I asked them why and they said that intelligence informs them that the place is full of drugs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a company in The Netherlands that does Aerial Photography. They specialize in photos of ships in stormy weather. So, when we are sitting in our comfortable armchairs complaining about the weather, they take off to do low level flights over the North Sea in the storm

It creates some really dramatic pictures:

They’re using this Cessna 337 Skymaster.

According to their website, they use the C337 because of its ability to be operated with winds up to Beaufort 10. 10 Beaufort is about 50KTS wind

Why is it that the C337 can take more wind than, for example, a C172? Is it the higher weight?

I’m not sure what they mean by “its ability to be operated with winds up to Beaufort 10”. I’d guess that that is their SOP limit for taxiing. Nothing else makes sense, its far to high for a cross wind limit, and meaningless for an upper air limit.

A parked 337 can take more wind than a 172 because it has a higher wing loading, the gust would need to be a lot stronger to move it.

Schipol was nice to go to and not as expensive as I had thought. For the 4th busiest airport in Europe it was reasonable.

Flying out of Ronaldsway on the IOM today I was airborne before the displaced threshold. A 30 kt headwind will do that. I wonder if I could get a refund due to that.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Feb 20:38
EGTK Oxford
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message