Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Metars this afternoon

Schipol was nice to go to and not as expensive as I had thought. For the 4th busiest airport in Europe it was reasonable.

Flying out of Ronaldsway on the IOM today I was airborne before the displaced threshold. A 30 kt headwind will do that. I wonder if I could get a refund due to that.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Feb 20:38
EGTK Oxford

I’m not sure what they mean by “its ability to be operated with winds up to Beaufort 10”. I’d guess that that is their SOP limit for taxiing. Nothing else makes sense, its far to high for a cross wind limit, and meaningless for an upper air limit.

A parked 337 can take more wind than a 172 because it has a higher wing loading, the gust would need to be a lot stronger to move it.

There is a company in The Netherlands that does Aerial Photography. They specialize in photos of ships in stormy weather. So, when we are sitting in our comfortable armchairs complaining about the weather, they take off to do low level flights over the North Sea in the storm

It creates some really dramatic pictures:

They’re using this Cessna 337 Skymaster.

According to their website, they use the C337 because of its ability to be operated with winds up to Beaufort 10. 10 Beaufort is about 50KTS wind

Why is it that the C337 can take more wind than, for example, a C172? Is it the higher weight?

I got picked up by the police after landing back from Lelystad once. I asked them why and they said that intelligence informs them that the place is full of drugs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hey hey fellows, a bit more respect for my little country please.. There is more than just brothels. Like, ehhm, drugs for instance

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I wanted to fly to Mannheim today… but WX was too bad first so we only circled around Manching (ETSI) for two hours, practicing approaches. But mayb enext week. My friend has to pick up his R44 there, I’ll let you know!

Here in the southwest of Germany, it is still one of the best flying winters ever.

EDFM Mannheim/City
METAR EDFM 122020Z 17007KT 130V190 CAVOK 06/M01 Q1004=

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am not an expert, neither on big airports nor on brothels, but am quite sure one could get “service” of this kind at most major airports with a single phone call. Something makes me suspect Moscow airports should be especially abundant on the “offerer” side.

And yes, it is far too warm to be natural these days. Fine on the house heating bill, but quite annoying on the garden – some of my trees and shrubs are pretending to put forth some buds.

To get back on topic: wind is less spectacular here than in the UK, but even so one sees “interesting” airliner maneuvers on flightradar24, combined with looking out of the window and some listening on 120,775 – my current home views the EBBR approaches of both 19 and 25R

No need to say I can’t even think of even the merest circuit flying, these days – time and to spare for preparing the season, and for some modifications to the plane.

Last Edited by at 12 Feb 20:27
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have no idea but nothing in Holland would surprise me…

EGTK Oxford

Isn’t EHAM the only airport that has a brothel?

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message