Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far can you get in Europe without Mode S, and can ATC see the Mode S data?

Magnus wrote:

If you fly training flight in an airspace where (B)RNAV is required and that flight is documented (logged), would it then be regarded as documented RNAV training?

No, it must be a course approved by the Swedish Transport Authority. Refer to LFS 2004:27 §9.4.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Are you sure you are all talking about simple enroute BRNAV navigation (the easiest thing in the world) and not about GPS approaches?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Are you sure you are all talking about simple enroute BRNAV navigation (the easiest thing in the world) and not about GPS approaches?

Positive. The relevant Swedish reg. (LFS 2004:27) states in part (my translation)

8.1.5.1.1 Independent GPS equipment may be used as B-RNAV equipment with operative limitations as below. The equipment should be used in accordance with procedures approved by the Swedish Transport Authority.

8.1.5.1.2 The air crew shall have received training in the use of the independent GPS-equipment in normal operating procedures and in procedures after loss of possibility for GPS navigation.

9.4 Pilots employed by an AOC holder […] All other pilots can obtain RNAV training at an IFR-approved training organisation or other competent organistion. RNAV courses should be approved by the Swedish Transport Authority. An endorsement of completed theoretical and practical training shall be made in the pilot’s log book by the approved trainers.

Airborne_Again wrote:

No, it must be a course approved by the Swedish Transport Authority. Refer to LFS 2004:27 §9.4.

My search engine skills are not with me today. Did not find the actual document, only some old references on other sites. Is it really still valid? I must admit, I am far from up to date with the structure of all legal aviation related documentation.

ESMH

My search engine skills are not with me today. Did not find the actual document, only some old references on other sites. Is it really still valid?

It’s a combination of my mistake and an unhelpful indexing system of the Transport Authority… LFS 2004:27 is actually the number of the latest revision of the RNAV regulation. You should look for the original regulation which has number LFS 1998:81 (and which will include the update from 2004).

I must admit, I am far from up to date with the structure of all legal aviation related documentation.

All Swedish national regs related to private flying can be found here: http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/Regler/Regler-for-luftfart/Regelpaket-allmanflyg/Flygplan/

Of course you also have to look at part-FCL, part-SERA and (soon) part-NCO.

Talk about some bullsh*t regulation there! Not only some training required, but through an approved course at an ATO, to fly DCT TO on the GPS!!!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yeah but imagine the number of failure points in a GPS with all them pesky tiny transistors ^^

@Airborne_Again, thanks for all the clarifications.

So briefly, in Sweden (among maybe some nearby countries?) IFR without BRNAV is ok (below FL100) and to use RNAV at all you need a special endorsement. In other countries, BRNAV is mandatory (for IFR) but no special training/endorsement is required.

ESMH

A French DGAC document on Mode S and 8.33 (March 2015)

here

Not sure if it’s been posted before.

No Mode S needed for VFR in any airspace class.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IFR flights without mode S in Germany

Hi,

I consider to fly myself from DK to DE for business trips. Is it possible and legal to file IFR and fly at altitudes above 5000 feet with a transponder with mode A/C and without mode S? I know about the Transponder Mandatory Zones. These can be avoided.

Does anyone have experience with overflight or enroute charges or for that matter any other fee for AC below and above 2000 kg. My trip will cover most of DE from N to S.

Thanks
BR
SAN (ATPL, CPL MEIR)

Sign in to add your message