Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain Flying - Another Preventable Tragic Accident

LeSving wrote:

I find that “viewfinder” thing above interesting.

I dont know what others do but if my GF/Partner isnt with me to take pics and Im by myself, I turn off the camera screen and have never even thought of looking through the viewfinder while flying. I just point the camera in the general direction and press the button a half dozen times or more making sure the lens is as close as possible to the canopy. Usually there is at least one OK photo.

Regards, SD..

LeSving wrote:

I find that “viewfinder” thing above interesting.

I enjoy taking pictures. What I feel is that when looking into the view finder or on the screen of the camera, you get a sort of feeling that you are now only an ‘neutral observer of what is happening’ and not an ‘actor’ any longer. What I’m trying to say is that when trying to take a picture, your brain consider that all you can do is play with your camera to capture what is happening, but sorts of forget that you could also act to change what is happening. I’m not taking as many pictures when flying as PIC as I would like to because of this (also when you realize that you can control the aircraft, you also realize that you should do this looking outside, not through the camera).

ENVA, Norway

Yes TAS vs IAS on takeoff is one cause misconception on takeoff at high density altitude, even with turbo that keeps 100% power they do not guarantee a good takeoff distance as you will need more “TAS energy” (same fashion as for landing distance which also increase in a non-intuitive way but one need to bring TAS/IAS spread to understand it energy wise), hence the “soft air” takeoff technique just like “soft field” you keep going in ground effect building that “TAS energy”

Having lot of TAS energy while good for climbs is not healthy for tight turns nor hitting the trees at the end of the runway or on impact

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Nov 14:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Another misconception in these altitudes is that there is a big differences between IAS and TAS. Even if you maxperformed your plane at Vy while climbing, at 10000ft, your Tas will be ~13% bigger, and then turn radius.
It also count when taking of, as you are aiming IAS at Vr, but your engine needs to bring you at the corresponding Tas, especially if you are loaded and when hot, you add some speed margin. It’s a recipe for overrunning the runway.
It does count in mountain rating when you study the requirement on an altisurface, where you can often land due to runway profile, but not always takeoff, which leads you to land with a not negligible tailwing component. We also learn some technics to do 180 in very close valley, but in any case, you need energy to do it, and the video clearly mention it.
Anyway mountain kills and will kill again. My teacher started the first lesson saying mountain rating is a permit to crash.

LFMD, France

Ibra wrote:

I guess that was the usual vertige when moving your head left/right while aircraft rotates rather than watching aircraft nose?

Some kind of vertigo for sure. I fly aerobatics, never had the feeling then though. It is connected to vertical surfaces, large ones (2-3000 feet or more) and flying close (1-300 feet maybe), but I haven’t really investigated it in detail

I find that “viewfinder” thing above interesting. The brain works in mysterious ways.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

“I cannot remember a single moment where I have been confused about distance from mountains or problems due to lack of horizon”
Agree. A climb to lose excess speed and get nearer to one side, then a steep, descending turn, is my usual technique.
Getting low and uphill in a valley leaves only hoping for a spot to put down.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

There is certainly a strong temptation to keep taking photos whatever is happening with the plane. I don’t think I have ever done anything in that department which was actually unsafe but I have done some landings which were “well sub optimal” because I was trying to get short-final pics.

Maybe that is what was happening… but normally if you have a passenger then he/she can do the shooting – unless they are totally inept.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

What I have felt from time to time when flying close to vertical or near vertical surfaces, is sudden dizziness, like the dizziness you get when standing on a cliff with a 2-300 m drop straight down. Dizziness due to height

I guess that was the usual vertige when moving your head left/right while aircraft rotates rather than watching aircraft nose? it’s funny in gliders where one is more likely to move their heads while the aircraft manoeuvres you have more risk of short vertigo panics but then you far more are likely to disregard them as turns and gaining altitude is the healthy thing to do, it’s bread and butter when flying no engine near terrain

Or leave it to pax but then you will need a brave guy or as gallois said a professional photographer

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@LeSving, it’s strange you should mention the problems you have encountered when taking pictures. Many professional photographers and cinematographers have an issue of experiencing “no fear” as soon as their eye gets to the camera viewfinder. I once remember walking with a cameraman along a quite wide platform during the construction of a very tall building. The platform was concrete, about the width of a country road, with concrete supports along the middle. There were no railings either side and there was a three hundred foot drop to the concrete footings below.
As we walked along this platform, the cameraman and I both felt that some invisible force was pulling us to the edge, so we made very slow progress clinging to the upright concrete pillars, spaced about 20 ft apart, every time we could. Meanwhile the assistant cameraman, who simply had no fear set up the tripod and the camera at the agreed position, about 2 feet from the platform edge. With some trepidation the cameraman got himself to this position and once his eye was to the viewfinder, all fear disappeared, to such an extent that he started moving, ever closer to the edge and I had to shout a warning from my position, clinging to the nearest concrete pillar. I wonder if the same thing happens with modern cameras with screens instead of viewfinder.

France

BeechBaby wrote:

I think he planned this flight for last minute photo shoot and it all went horribly wrong

I agree. Slowing down to take pictures, maybe a few selfies, losing SA while doing it. No problem in the flatland, deadly between granite. Having flown in the mountains most of my flying “career”. Towing gliders, often using thermals to get a decent (read positive) climb rate between the mountains, I cannot remember a single moment where I have been confused about distance from mountains or problems due to lack of horizon, except when the landscape is covered in snow. When everything is white,it is difficult.

What I have felt from time to time when flying close to vertical or near vertical surfaces, is sudden dizziness, like the dizziness you get when standing on a cliff with a 2-300 m drop straight down. Dizziness due to height. This has only happened if I were pre occupied with taking pictures typically. Suddenly looking out and the “horizon” has tilted 90 degrees, even though I know this is exactly what I am taking pictures of. It’s not overwhelming, more of a sudden surprise of dizziness from “nowhere”. But it takes several seconds before things get back to normal. During those seconds, I am sure my flying abilities are seriously degraded, maybe to the point of incapable of doing anything but flying straight and level, I don’t know. Concentrating on the flying, being “in touch” with the terrain, no problems whatsoever.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message