Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain Flying Norway

I think most points have been covered.

In my experience mountain flying is about a bit of pre planning and setting sensible wx minima.
Flying in valleys is safe, but you need to do chart study prior to flying to be sure to identify all wire/cables. Large spans are fairly easy to spot, but there is a few hints to follow.

Don´t try to look for the wires, look for the pylons on each side. There is a double bonus to that, firstly they are often easier to spot (Often painted red or checkerboard), and secondly they are generally the highest point of the span on each side. Cross the span at the pylon.
One exception to that is if the crossing pylon is placed low, close to shoreline, and the power line continues up the valley side. Then you need to locate the pylon close to the summit and cross there.
Reason: Some spans have cables that skips one or more pylons (Often service cables)

The chart will often state the elevation of the pylon on each side, see picture from Sogndal.

Chart

Now, all of the above is off course best achieved in good wx, and I would not advocate flying below overcast in valleys in mountains terrain.

The document linked earlier in the topic is good for technique regarding positioning etc in valleys. Should one get into rotors or downdrafts it´s important to stay calm and remember that you can fly away from stuff like that 99% of the time. Fly the airplane, even if that means descending with the wind still on Vy and max power and perhaps ending up a bit low at the bottom of the valley. Pulling the nose high in panic has caught a few people out….

Last Edited by L-18C_Anders at 03 Jul 11:37
Hokksund/ENHS

Make sure that Sogndal is open when you get there. We had to divert to Floro when FIS informed us that the field was still closed around lunch time..

Actually from July 1 you can land (and take off) at almost all Avinor airports outside of the usual closing hours. Link here

But you have to get a card as written on the bottom.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I am going to offer my impressions from 5 years flying VFR in Norway, without repeating anything described in the PDF leaflet edited by NO CAA referred in another post.

Unlike the Pyrenees or the Alps, Norwegian mountains are not particularly high and there are quite a few high-altitude plateaus. At those latitudes there is little vegetation above 3000". Flying at a respectful altitude ( 2000+ AGL) to avoid mountain waves and turbulence poses absolutely no problem at all. Flying into narrow valleys or fjords should be avoided for all the usual reasons, including high tension electric lines spanning across the valley and which are sometimes not depicted on the charts. If you fly into fjords or valleys, you should know what you are doing.

With prevailing winds from the west you will often see clouds forming to windward of terrain with severe clear to leeward, or in high wind lenticulars indicative of mountain waves.

Norway has a handsome amount short field airports but with somewhat limited hours of operations. Those airfields may not be used outside opening hours. I remember one trip between Trondheim and Bodø where all airports along the route (coastwise) were closed. I am pretty sure the airports between Bergen and Trondheim are the same.

I cannot however think of any challenging “altiport” or “altisurface” like Courchevel. Some airports may however be challenging enough due to wind and turbulence from surrounding terrain.

I recommend to always file a flight plan and use flight following (flight information service) particularly when flying over deserted areas (most of Norway). Bring a “survival kit” including flares, warm clothing and/or blankets/sleep bag, some food, water. Wear appropriate clothing and shoes just in case. Norwegian ATC is very friendly and will provide traffic information to the best of their ability. There is good radar coverage. ATC will give you a XPDR code that you will use from first contact until landing and even hand you to the next unit.

The meteorological service is good but I have been surprised by un forecast weather twice. Weather changes quickly, and a relatively small, unexpected change in wind direction can screw up a beautiful clear day. Should you loose visual references, climbing and fessing up would definitely be your best option rather than going lower in an attempt to regain VMC.

Not sure what you intend to do in Fagernes. The airport is somewhat isolated on a mountain-top and there is not much to see there. My favorite season for flying there was during winter when they cleared a landing strip on the lake allowing you to walk directly into town. If you have the possibility, you should rather go to Røros. It is an old kopper mining town with a very pretty, historical city center from there you should fly east almost to the Swedish border, south over the lake of Femunden, then down to Hamar, south over the lake of Mjøsa, and finally down the rivers of Vorma/Glomma to northern Øyeren at which point you will pretty much be at Kjeller. It is longer than ENFG, but I am certain you will enjoy it.

To give you an idea of distances ENKJ-ENBR is about 01:50 in a C172. I think that ENKJ-ENRO in a beeline would be approximately the same.

The sceneries are grand. Enjoy your trip.

LFPT, LFPN

Mark,

Make sure that Sogndal is open when you get there. We had to divert to Floro when FIS informed us that the field was still closed around lunch time..

One of the best diversions of my life though ;)

Last Edited by mrfacts at 02 Jul 20:17
EDLN and EDKB

One of the biggest dangers is high tension electricity cables strung across most fjords…..best not to venture below the tops too far

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Will plug Sparky Imeson’s Mountain Flying Bible – lots of good common sense airmanship with good chapters on weather.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I just have done no mountain flying before and the mountains are around 5000ft at least! A couple of Norwegian lads have planned the route, they have not flown this route before!

It takes us up from Bergen, to Voss-Bomoen, then north to the Sognefjord to land at Sogndal, (looks interesting!) then across to Fagernes ENFG and down to Kjeller.

Any pointers for this route? I presume the Vis needs to be very good and the cloud base of course way above 6000ft to be able to fly that route? I can’t really see many low level routes from Bergen to Kjeller!!

Any general rules etc when flying down in the Fjords below the tops of the mountains? I am sure I read that if the wind is across the ridges and more than 15-20kts it is a no go?

Thanks

Mark

I fly in the heart of the Norwegian mountains all the time, at Oppdal. From 21-27 of July there is a “glider week”. I will be there towing gliders (don’t remember the exact days). It’s a nice little airport at one of Norway’s major skiing resorts (not much skiing now though). 900m pawed. Mogas, Avgas and JetA1 is available, and hopefully some hot dogs Lots of hotels and restaurants close by. Only 10 min flight to the coast, there are one of Norways most scenic mountains/fjords, 6000 feet straight down to the sea in a labyrinth of fjords and mountains. We have of course ordered beautiful weather

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hi,
This document may offer some good info on flying in Norway specifically.

http://luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/article10277.ece/BINARY/VFR2013-web.pdf

/Patrik

ESG..., Sweden

Mark, I liked this book very much: http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Mountains-Training-Single-Engine-Aircraft/dp/0071410538
BTW, we are also going to tour Norway/Sweden for 9 days starting from the 24th of July.
Greetings,

Yuri

EHLE
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message