Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Nairobi Kenya, mid-air collision between DHC-8-300 (5Y-SLK), and a Cessna 172M Skyhawk (5Y-NNJ)

Could have been way worse…Aviation Safety Net

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Woha.

So a Cessna 172 with 2 on board and the Dash 8 collided near Nairobi Wilson airport, the big GA and Safari hub at Nairobi.

The Dash sustained damage to the horizontal stabilizer but was able to return to Wilson and landed without further incident. The 39 pax and 5 crew were not hurt.

The Cessna was operated by a local flight school. Both instructor and student lost their lives.

https://avherald.com/h?article=515c1179&opt=1

Some 44 folks got a 2nd birthday there yesterday….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So a Cessna 172 with 2 on board and the Dash 8 collided near Nairobi Wilson airport, the big GA and Safari hub at Nairobi.

I spend my first years as a young, dumb and full of c@m commercial pilot flying out of Wilson airport, Nairobi – must have been 1997-1998. All over that God forsaken continent – Somalia (Photo!), Ethiopia, Djibouti, Rwanda, DRC (Zaire), Burundi, Tanzania, Zambia… Jez.. “fond” memories. The safety statistics for aviation in Africa are not impressive – nothing new. Plenty of wreckages spread around the departure runways from Wilson. Looking back at my career, my flying in Africa stands out as the best of it all – “against all odds”.

Last Edited by Yeager at 06 Mar 21:27
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

safety statistics for aviation in Africa are not impressive – nothing new

Agree, but still… AFAIK Wilson is controlled. Wonder is the collision happened within the CTR.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message