Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Practically it is hard to establish “that two-way communication with FISO or A/G” unlike doing “A/A calls” to other traffic for situations awareness, of course the latter is way more easier and useful

The usual scenario I come across is A/G or FISO not replying (or told to standby or orbit) on empty frequency (if frequency is busy better to skip), obviously one can always plan to avoid ATZ laterally or fly above them but with many of them you get more collision risk profile From changing heading, heights or orbiting while pressing PTT buttons

It does not cost much a pilot to call early but an automatic reply recording of “qnh, rwy, wind” when FISO or A/G are not around would be a good start to smooth things out on airport side, you can have “protected airspace” but it has to be used or manned

Of course, it is always good to fly 50nm away from any ATZ to make sure you are are not in conflict with their traffic

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 May 10:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Calling on the radio to report height on the QFE when crossing the zone boundary on either entry or exit, may not be possible on a busy frequency. I frequently don’t even get the chance to say thank you and goodbye at a busy fly in. Orbiting either inside or outside the zone in order to meet this requirement, substantially increases the safety risk.

The irony of requiring pilots to directly and personally receive up to date information prior to entering the zone, rather than simply using information gleaned by listening out on the frequency, (thus reducing radio clutter) whilst and at the same time permitting non radio aircraft to enter the zone without radio contact, using out of date information obtained by telephone prior to take off seems to be lost on the CAA.
Failure to do the first constitutes an infringement, doing the second is not an infringement.

A ground radio operator using the word “standby” to deny access to the ATZ has now introduced the concept of “infringing” and requiring what is effectively a “ clearance” to enter uncontrolled class G airspace, such a thing being unheard of two or three years ago.

Last Edited by flybymike at 09 May 10:58
Egnm, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

What exactly do you see as the problem?

To name but a few
This allows an a/g radio operator to “control” airspace.
In my experience it is far from the standard practice which works, if you fall foul of this you stand a chance of getting the CAA bust treatment which is well documented as not particularly useful.
If you’re following another aircraft, from the same area direction and you’ve heard all the information over the radio and have established two way communications with the radio operator. This appears to follow the requirements by any sensible understanding but the CAA think this is a bust.
Everyone giving out their life story at the boundary would soon clog up a frequency if it was remotely busy.

Off_Field wrote:

Yes, that’s what I also thought was over the top.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Yes, that’s what I also thought was over the top.

And even if the A/G radio bloke decided at 10:00 that he wants to go to the pub, nothing you can do, there is no limit on your wait.
Well there is, notified hours… But you see what I mean. If they don’t like you, they can “stand by” you and only you for ever.

EGTR

So are there any bits of airspace that you might enter but not be able to exit legally if someone then takes the afternoon off?

You can leave Class D & A without calls (as long as you do not get back and you stay on freq) but not ATZ

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 May 18:55

You absolutely cannot be airborne in Class A-D without ATC clearance, even for an instant, in the UK.

You cannot be airborne in an ATC ATZ (Class G) without ATC clearance. You cannot even taxi. Exception: a separate indemnity etc agreement.

For a non ATC ATZ, whether you can legally depart the ATZ (Class G) if the FISO or A/G is not around, and there is no separate indemnity etc agreement, I have no idea. I would think you can, because the current CAA policy on ATZs (the exact format of radio comms) is for inbound traffic, AFAICS.

The person who should know the answers to this sort of thing, from the CAA POV, and give us an official answer, is @Cub.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I mean you did get clerance to enter or depart CAS but failed to make the call that you have left the CAS (obviously each bit of Class D & A CAS in UK has radars but sometimea controllers do go offline when you are leaving airspace )

Well you can’t taxi when ATZ FISO are not around (except out of hours) but not being able to depart ATZ because AG is not around is a long stretch…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 May 20:43

Why can’t you taxi in an ATZ when an AFISO is not around? An AFISO can not give a clearance and any relevant information mentioned in the AIP is available on the ground as it would be at a non radio airfield.

France
Sign in to add your message