Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New EGT Probe higher reading?

This morning i taxied over to my shop for the annual and warmed up the engine for the oil change. I made a picture of the engine instruments, all EGTs almost the same reading.

When we were finished this afternoon I did the run-up and EGT 6 wasn’t working, obviously died (I will never understand how stuff breaks like that). I had an extra probe and we changed it. Now cylinder 6 has a much higher EGT reading than the other 5. It’s the same probe, same part number.

Is it maybe because it is still new and not burnt? That’s the only explanation I have.

Or you were supplied with the incorrect part # ?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

No, as i said, same part number as the old ones. There is really no other probe that looks the same.

Temperatures probes which work on the priciple of resistance are notoriously inaccurate.

What is “much higher”? It could be a “faulty” probe. It could be it hasn’t been installed exactly the same way as the others.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well, I’m tempted to say they’re all fauly, by design. Real junk. No, it was installed correctly. Reading is 100 F higher than the other 5. But i bet it will change again over time …

If there is a 100F difference when the engine is turned off, the probe is faulty. If the difference is only there when the engine is running, then it points to the fuel injection system.

It’s important to remember that EGT temperature should only be used as a reference (ie. finding peak) and has little value for absolute temperature .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The fuel injection system is absolutely ok (I flew the airplane 15 hours in the last 6 days). also this morning at 8 a.m. all EGT values were almost identical, while after changing the probe EGT 6 is 100 F higher. If anything then one Plug might be bad, that creates higher EGTs while the CHT stays about the same (which it does)

I think I’ll fly it for a while … and see what it says.

Here, by coincedence i made a picture in the morning (higher rpm, but was the same at 1200)

And this after i changed the probe

Oh, you didn’t fly at all?

Then don’t mind. It’s totally normal for the EGT readings to be all over the place when at idle power on the ground. As soon as you take off, things will level out!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message