Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New EGT Probe higher reading?

as i said, same part number as the old ones

Apologies.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes, thank you. I remembered that too, i have read that article and see the video aswell

Came to think about this video from Mike Busch (who seem to know what he’s talking about!)

June 15, 2011 – Presenter: Mike Busch Debunks myths about CHT and EGT, explains what they really mean and how they should be used in the operation and troubleshooting of piston aircraft engines, etc.
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=994808107001

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 10 Jun 20:14

Yes, probably! Had no time to fly after we had finished the annual. Will report!

Oh, you didn’t fly at all?

Then don’t mind. It’s totally normal for the EGT readings to be all over the place when at idle power on the ground. As soon as you take off, things will level out!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here, by coincedence i made a picture in the morning (higher rpm, but was the same at 1200)

And this after i changed the probe

The fuel injection system is absolutely ok (I flew the airplane 15 hours in the last 6 days). also this morning at 8 a.m. all EGT values were almost identical, while after changing the probe EGT 6 is 100 F higher. If anything then one Plug might be bad, that creates higher EGTs while the CHT stays about the same (which it does)

I think I’ll fly it for a while … and see what it says.

It’s important to remember that EGT temperature should only be used as a reference (ie. finding peak) and has little value for absolute temperature .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

If there is a 100F difference when the engine is turned off, the probe is faulty. If the difference is only there when the engine is running, then it points to the fuel injection system.

Well, I’m tempted to say they’re all fauly, by design. Real junk. No, it was installed correctly. Reading is 100 F higher than the other 5. But i bet it will change again over time …

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message