Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Zealand BFR, in UK?

Am returning home to NZ in a few weeks and would like to do some flying there (only hold EASA PPL). Have seen I can get a validation permit for 6 months on the basis of doing an NZ BFR.

Does anyone know of an NZ instructor in the UK who can do a BFR? Looking to do this on weekend of 21/22/29 November.

EGKB

One snag with an NZ BFR is the requirement for a minimum amount of low flying and mountain training. This might be difficult to achieve outside NZ. ‘Low flying’ is down to 200’!

I don’t know how this rule is being interpreted at the moment, but several years ago 5Hrs NZ specific training was required in addition to the BFR.

An alternative is to check out in an aircraft in the VLA class where quite capable aircraft are available without the hassles referred to above. I have a good friend who rents out this type of aircraft in NZ. (Trying not to advertise Peter!).

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling – that’s a good point. I have had a day of mountain training in Denver but don’t recall it being logged in any specific manner. Not sure how I’d satisfy the requirement to “evidence of Terrain & Weather Awareness at PPL Level”.

I’ll have to look at the VLA route – are you suggesting I don’t need to get an NZ validation? I was hoping to rent and use an aircraft for a practical reason – doing 4 or 6 flights between North Shore and Whitianga on the Coromandel peninsula to ferry family for a wedding. I don’t fancy the 4-5 hour drive, nor do the relatives! I don’t mind doing 4-5 hours of flying, if it saves everyone else all that time :)

EGKB

You may find that like Australia a BFR has to be done in NZ.

EGTK Oxford
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message