Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Next flying challenge

I think its because although old fashioned turboprops are a horrible handful when flying on one engine, especially compared to a bizjet, in normal operations jets require more care, control and accuracy to fly.

At least the C510 doesn’t have the added joy of highly swept complex wings to contend with too – fairly low MMo at 0.63 so I guess it’s got a nice fat old fashioned aerofoil.

London area

I know the CJ4 is a different animal but I was massively impressed with this one. It needs about 300m of tarmac to get off the ground, (2 people and full fuel), it stops in not much more and with braking so powerful it feels like being in a proper car. But it needs a pilot who is totally on top of the game and very current, not to mention the Collins Proline which is really slick but totally different to anything in GA.

Pretty much the biggest SP jet there is. Got a decent range at 2000nm as well. I would imagine you’d have to do pretty extensive recurring training each year to keep the SP on it. Which, makes TP’s a little more user-friendly as that’s not always required. Don’t know why the world’s collective regulators have such a hard on for jet training. I would argue that a twin jet is easier and safer to maintain proficiency in than a twin turboprop, yet the ask for the very opposite. Think it will change with time.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 26 Jun 21:01

I know the CJ4 is a different animal but I was massively impressed with this one. It needs about 300m of tarmac to get off the ground, (2 people and full fuel), it stops in not much more and with braking so powerful it feels like being in a proper car. But it needs a pilot who is totally on top of the game and very current, not to mention the Collins Proline which is really slick but totally different to anything in GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did the FAA SIC rating for the 510….For no particular reason other than it was bloody good fun! I might go back and do the PIC rating at some point. We had a great laugh zipping around California in it. Emergency descent was fun, 17000 to 8000 in 45 seconds with the VS pegged at over 10,000 fpm. It is a doddle to fly, far easier than a piston twin, especially during SE ops.

EGHS

I never had the chance to fly (in) one …, but I think the C510 is a neat airplane. Great looking, almost like a little fighter. I did sit in the cockpit a couple of times and thought that it’s great. The seats, the visibilty, the general cockpit layout. I also have a friend who flew it a couple of times. He normally flies the larger Citation types, and he says the Mustang is a lot of fun to fly.

I’ll (have to) stay with the Cirrus fuel to noise converter, I think that’s the top of the line for me :-)

Congrats, JasonC! From what I’ve heard from some guys who fly the Mustang, it seems like a pretty easy transition. Probably have a higher workload in a piston twin than this. They seem like great value for money.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 26 Jun 19:32

JasonC wrote:

the CAA will add that to an EASA licence but it is restricted to N-reg.

An EASA license entry that limits a rating to N-reg aircraft? Now that really sounds almost comical! I wonder who came up with all these rules…

With the FAA, for your first single pilot type rating, you cannot fly single pilot straight away. Once you pass they require you to log 25 hours supplemental operating experience with another type rated pilot in the RH Seat. Once you have that experience, you go to an FSDO and they remove the limitation on your type rating.

ICAO type ratings are recognised automatically by the CAA etc but restricted to aircraft of the country that you hold the TR from. So if you have an FAA TR, the CAA will add that to an EASA licence but it is restricted to N-reg.

Last Edited by JasonC at 26 Jun 18:24
EGTK Oxford

Yes I will need time with a type rated pilot in order to overcome the single pilot restriction on an FAA certificate for your first jet type rating.

Could you elaborate? I don’t know much about type ratings..

Also, won’t you need the appropriate EASA type rating as well, soon?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Unless FSI are significantly different from CAE …

I’ve been to both. There is almost no difference. If they would put you blindfolded in one of their classrooms or simulators you couldn’t tell where you are apart from the colour of the instructor’s tie.

EDDS - Stuttgart
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message