Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Show us your (non-certified only) panel

Thanks guys/gals, keep’em coming

europaxs wrote:

Mine is pure Experimental

We all love experimenting, don’t we… it also looks like you like to read
Is that a relief tube, or a tablet cooling hose (or both) on right side?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

We all love experimenting, don’t we… it also looks like you like to read

Yeah – if I get bored on long flights No, the German CAA wants the pilot to get reminded about the nono’s anytime…

Dan wrote:

Is that a relief tube, or a tablet cooling hose (or both) on right side?

It’s just for directing fresh air – the standard airvents are for british climates only but otherwise great for cooling your knee

EDLE

The number of hours I invested in buidling this panel is ridiculous!

Forever learning
EGTB

The number of hours I invested in buidling this panel is ridiculous!

Well, since you wrote invested vs lost, a positive and good looking outcome
Hopefully you’ll finally be able to rack a few hours on that magnificent Falco of yours, and reap the benefits of all the trouble u been thru.

PS
Also hope you guys enjoy working on your non-certified as much as I do. Whilst one could part with some dough for a wiring loom, or a full panel order to one of the providers, I found thinking and doing my own install/wiring/programming very satisfying (for an almost smokeless update ).

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

With a home build, what is involved in ‘redoing’ your panel? By that I mean not changing any of the instruments, but just ‘simply’ totally redesigning the layout?

Is that an expensive proposition or a relatively easy one?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

@IO390 will sure answer that query precisely soon @dublinpilot

Talking costs only, everything is open. One could scrounge for 2nd hand steam gages or glass, and do everything him/herself, designing, acquiring, wiring, installing. The other extreme is to have some initial idea, then mandate a company such as Steinair to produce your dream panel which one would eventually install on the airplane by means of a couple of screws and connectors.

Now talking administrative work, it will be country, or better said NAA dependent.
As an example, CH requires an application to the EAS (our homebuilder’s association) certification engineer, who will then classify the alteration as either minor or major, subject to limitations or supplemental procedures. And everything is to be documented.
There are certain rules to follow, but OTOH there’s quite some freedom left. As an example, having dual battery back-up displays, one does not require any standby instruments. Another one is having dual source of heading and one can do without that sacrosanct whiskey compass and enjoy its contents.
CH is quite strict and my guess is that modifying, or just building one’s dream panel on a homebuilt must be even easier in other EU countries.

Last Edited by Dan at 21 Dec 15:32
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Hopefully you’ll finally be able to rack a few hours on that magnificent Falco of yours,

If the rain ever stops…..

Forever learning
EGTB

I am currently sans panel.

(I made it portrait to show off my curvy new prop…)

United Kingdom

OTOH I spent my whole professional career (as a pilot) being FDMised, and sure can do without for my private flying… hey, I’m retired
And my style of flying sometimes requires privacy

The good thing about FlySto is it is only for you. It is private. We made sure to have a good privacy policy. And you don’t have to FDM yourself, you can just use it to enjoy your flights by immersively diving deeper into them with a cool tool!

always learning
LO__, Austria

@dublinpilot it’ll depend a lot on the type and the regulations in your given country. In LAA land you can basically do what you like avionics wise unless you are changing the panel mounting structure.

The rest is just work and effort (and time). On the RV the panel is just an aluminium sheet so you can cut out a new one and stick the bits where you like. It’s as simple as can be. The wiring can be a pain to do neatly I guess, but some systems are simpler than others. Garmin just uses CANbus to communicate between the various devices, which simplifies wiring massively.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message