Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

International overflight permissions and privileges for microlights / ultralights / UL / ULM

Looking at the form it does not become entirely clear.. It mentions a start date and an end date, a route or a base. So for an incidental visit it’s clear what to do. As to what to fill in if one wants to permanently station a plane in Spain, it’s not clear. Again, I have not been able to find anything in these documents that prohibits that. I thought about mailing them to clarify, but it is maybe better to not wake up a sleeping dog

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is it a declaration per flight, per year or once off?

I also wondered, and I think you are right that seeing the form would make that clear.

Exactly, so a Super Cub or so which is still an a CofA of course still won’t not need this authorisation.

Aart, on a quick read, it still seems a bit convoluted, especially that one has to gain access to some portal over which the declaration / application then has to be submitted.

Anyway, it is a good thing that they now clarify that (for EU-reg. aircraft) it is merely a declaration, and therefore now reply is needed.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Jan 09:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They use the following definition: ULM, historical aircraft and aircraft built by amateurs registered in other States that do not comply with ICAO Annex 8.

Annex 1 aircraft registered in other EU states can fly here all year round, subject to submitting a declaration, so no approval is required

Is it a declaration per flight, per year or once off?
I read a bit but couldn’t figure that out. I think I need to register to figure that bit out.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

aart wrote:

Annex 1 aircraft registered in other EU states can fly here all year round, subject to submitting a declaration…

Annex 1 aircraft registered in non-EU states can fly here up-to a maximum of 180 days per year, subject to submitting a request ….

I assume this refers to Annex 1 aircraft without an ICAO-compliant CofA, notably ULs and homebuilts? I don’t see why Spain would restrict certified Annex 1 aircraft such as the Piper Cub.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Here’s the latest on flying an Annex 1 aircraft in Spain, now official. Congratulations to all persons in the GA sector who persisted and finally won.

In a nutshell:

Annex 1 aircraft registered in other EU states can fly here all year round, subject to submitting a declaration, so no approval is required. A standard form needs to be used. Prior registration to be able to fill in the form is required. I cannot find anything in the documentation that would prohibit anyone (Spanish of other EU-resident) from stationing a foreign-reg Annex 1 aircraft here.. There are no charges involved.

Annex 1 aircraft registered in non-EU states can fly here up-to a maximum of 180 days per year, subject to submitting a request 15 days in advance and prior approval. A standard form applies. No charges.

Here

This is also useful.

Not that recent.. 2022. The law is clear as per my post of sep 17th above. Disappointing that this has not been included in the latest issue of the EMF publication, and a bit surprising because Spain is represented in that organisation. I guess it has to do with the fact that it’s an organisation consisting of volunteers, enthusiastic and hard working as they may be.

Last Edited by aart at 03 Oct 12:31

The Spanish change is very recent. @Aart will know more.

Keeping these docs up to date is clearly very hard because within the UL (and Annex 1) communities there is a great deal of a) denial and b) incorrect information posted everywhere online, plus c) the regs are national and often very hard to find because different countries keep their national laws in different places.

I would expect a UL can be flown between all countries which allow UL visitors, provided your country of UL license issue matches the country of UL aircraft registration, with the proviso that a UL whose weight is not accepted by both respective countries obviously cannot do that flight. This AIUI was the main reason the increase from 450kg was resisted by many.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The list is maintained by one person. He can be contacted regarding updates and errors, see front pages of the document. I’m sure he would need proper references though

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message