Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Lancair Evolution turboprop in Europe (production moved to Europe)

Peter wrote:

The Evo is still not properly usable in Europe, unless you are super rich and can pay any fine, or you fly it in airspaces where nobody cares.

But if passes certification (and especially if it includes 1999 kg MTOW – which is only some 50 kg less than current MTOW – so it can be done via simple paperwork) then it could be completely different story.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Watch this, starting at minute 9:30…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So what is correct?
Can this airplane be flown IFR in Europe?

Or is this a case of intentionally obfuscating the facts in the name of “marketing” (aka. marketing is what you do when your product is no good*).

*"no good" as in “promising and selling an IFR aircraft for use in Europe, while the legal details would prohibit it?”

The question was straightforward: “It is only VFR?” The answer leaves the impression behind that it can be flown under “IFR conditions” in Europe?!

always learning
LO__, Austria

It is BS.

Already covered in many posts on the Lancair Evolution, and homebuilts generally. The Evo can fly IFR but in only a few countries. Not in any of the main European countries. I don’t have time to look for the posts now, but basically the “homebuilt IFR” topic is in national regs, and many of these are hard to locate (you need a local pilot to know where to look), but there are a few places where no regs appear to exist. They all seem to be in the former Soviet Bloc.

Of the 2 or 3 Evos seen active in Europe, the most famous one, N111XA, has indeed been flying Eurocontrol-IFR in such airspaces, mostly…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One can get permission for IFR in Lancair Evo in France, it cost 50€ and valid for 6 months, for VFR, they don’t require it for aircraft “already based in EU” (irrespective of registration)

The form is here,

PermitValidation
Form_DGAC_LP6_20220617_1_pdf

I imagine on flight from Greece to UK, one may need 10×50€ to cover their flight path?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 May 15:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Where does that form state IFR?

Maybe it is possible to get a single overflight permit but has anyone tested it? The numbers of uncertified planes which are not VFR-only is miniscule.

I know a guy – no longer flying – who managed to get a “yes” from the DGAC (for a permit option) for his UK LAA IFR approved RV. With Germany he did not succeed.

But of the 2-3 Evos seen flying around Europe (IFR → Mode S → visible on FR24 and FA) only one has really gone anywhere, and I doubt he’s been anywhere near France.

Greece to UK, no chance whatsoever of getting a permit.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Not in any of the main European countries

Hmm, “main” in terms of what? Ultra high density population and draconian GA regulation? One has to wonder

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is probably not a coincidence that all the owners seen on FR24 flying high altitude IFR are extremely wealthy and well connected individuals…

@pytlak may know more.

Administrator

I know only this one, which is located in a hangar next to mine. It used to fly to various destinations, mainly in Croatia and I doubt that the trips were made VFR. It was for sale some time ago as the owner probably got tired of this toy. I have absolutely no idea whether it is still parked at LKHK or whether it was sold but I can easily verify that by making one or two phone calls if anyone here is interested…

LKHK, Czech Republic

What I find troubling about Lisa’s words is that she makes no mention of the restrictions faced by N registered experimentals in (eg) Germany – firstly, maximum stay is 6 months per year without permission, then each time you fly across a border you need permission from that country…. I was looking at buying an N Reg Vans RV but those restrictions put me off….

EDL*, Germany
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message