Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Panel mounted USB chargers (merged)

I suspect the volumes are very small and they are waiting for orders before they commit to building a batch of them, especially the metalwork which is expensive unless you get a decent batch size.

Please indicate if you are intending to perform an installation into an EASA aircraft under CS-STAN, to also include the paperwork and a Certificate of Compliance for the unit.

That isn’t exactly “EASA paperwork” but is ok if the regs need only a CofC.

Does CS-STAN include USB charger points? This further back this thread suggests it was coming, but has it arrived?

This is also interesting.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does CS-STAN include USB charger points? This further back this thread suggests it was coming, but has it arrived?

It arrived later the same year (2017). We had one installed then.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Harkwood products now available again. My dual USB arrived today – looks excellent quality, but will report when installed.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Now Garmin jumped on the bandwagon with the reassuringly pricey GSB15

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mid-continent has better lower the price of its TrueBlue USB outlets.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am the designer/maker of the Charge2 / Charge4 USB supplies, so to answer some questions…

I suspect the volumes are very small and they are waiting for orders before they commit to building a batch of them, especially the metalwork which is expensive unless you get a decent batch size.

I aim to keep stock of all items, however I have some customers who just send me a bulk order via e-mail, as they use them as a standard fit.
It takes ~2 weeks to get a batch of PCBs assembled (done in the UK) then I test each one once they arrive. The enclosure is off the shelf, but the end panels and panel mounts are custom punched and laser engraved, they do take a few weeks but I order these in 100’s to mitigate the lead time.

There have been issues, and it’s worldwide, with component shortages. I have been quoted lead times of 35+ weeks for basic components, which is crazy. For example I used a specific polymer tantalum capacitor (the ones that specifically don’t explode if damaged or fail), I grab reels of 500 or 1000 of these when I can as lead times run into months otherwise.

The stock status on the website is live, the back in stock notification is because I do not believe in taking payment for anything that isn’t ready to ship. The aim is not to use that but have stock. I have also made items unavailable if I know the office is closed (i.e. I am out and about for a week or so), though I will change this going forwards clearly stating that items ordered between dates x and y won’t ship until after z.

Please indicate if you are intending to perform an installation into an EASA aircraft under CS-STAN, to also include the paperwork and a Certificate of Compliance for the unit.

That isn’t exactly “EASA paperwork” but is ok if the regs need only a CofC.

Yes, CS-STAN section CS-SC102a covers Installation of DC power supply systems for portable electronic devices. The chargers were designed from the outset to meet ETSO-C71.

The charge2/charge4 are indeed very nice looking units. For N-reg, it would be useful to have NORSEE approval allowing just a log book entry. Any chance of that happening?

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 Oct 20:13
LSZK, Switzerland

The charge2/charge4 are indeed very nice looking units. For N-reg, it would be useful to have NORSEE approval allowing just a log book entry. Any chance of that happening?

I’ll have to take a look at this, there are quite a few over in the USA.

cheers all,
I’m about to buy/use a cigare lighter power outlet to power ipad/phone, I don’t think it can cause any problem on 14V standard planes, but we have some on 28V. Knowing that they are powered by 24V batteries, and on trucks, alternators are pusing 26V at least, do you have any recommandation on using a standard truck USB adapter, or at least one that is 24V compliant.
https://shop.aukey.com/collections/aukey-car-charger/products/24w-dual-port-car-charger
I have 2 of them for my car and it works correctly charging 2 phones correctly.
Any advise welcome… Do we need certified material?

LFMD, France

IMO, as long as it is a “24V” compatible one, no problem. “24V” is the nominal battery voltage, and as you said, the alternator (also in a truck) will push higher voltage, and any manufacturer worth that name will have designed it for that higher voltage, not the nominal 24V.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message