Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Paris to Brindisi : VFR !

As of May 2017 Brindisi has avgas.

Tököl LHTL

@Aviator

Yeah, pretty amazing weather previous 2 weeks, NOT “normal” by any means.

It helped that I had 3 days “wiggle room” on both sides of the trip.

That said, I just barely squeaked in yesterday between two systems that left a 4 hour North – South window, albeit scud-running @ 1,000 AGL right up the Rhone valley !

Would not have been possible without extensive use of real time satellite and prediction models. I must have spent dozens of hours on meteox over the last 3 weeks !

Last Edited by Michael at 03 Jan 20:17
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Well this year, it is for sure not clear cut at all

LFPT, LFPN

Over the years, I have learned that the season is not so important. It’s the general weather situation which is. Accordingly, there can be weeks and weeks of poor weather even in summer with big challenges for long range flying in light SEPs. Mind you, all in all, the summer months are still better than the winter months, but it’s not as clear cut.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Jan 20:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Michael, I think it is amazing that you managed to do this VFR this time of year. That said it has been a pretty amazing couple of weeks weather wise…

LFPT, LFPN

Forgive me airborne, 200 NM, not 150. I am getting old….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Always a treat to read VFR trip reports. Thanks for the pics.

EDMB, Germany

Here’s what I turned up on the subject :

“(2) Flights outside designated ATS Routes:
Insert points normally not more than 30 minutes flying time or 370 km (200 NM) apart including each point at which a change of speed or level, a change of track, or a change of flight rules is planned or when required by the appropriate ATS authority(ies).”

Makes no distinction between VFR or IFR .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

boscomantico wrote:

Just for info: the rules require a waypoint at least each 150 NM or 30 minutes flight time.

It’s 200 NM or 30 minutes, isn’t it? Anyway, that’s not even Italian rules, but ICAO rules.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Very good pics

It helps to have scratch-free windows…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message