Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Passed!

Great! Well done. Another tick.

Congratulations! I will do the IRME myself as soon as I get confirmation from NO CAA that they do not need to approve the training program.

LFPT, LFPN

Congratulations! That test sounds very hard. I used to hate NDB approaches because no matter how I flew them I always ended up way off the centreline.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congratulations :)

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 17 Aug 19:16
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Just passed my CBM ME-IR late this afternoon! Fantastic training from Aeros Gloucester, test route was into airways to DTY then up to Coventry for ILS, go around at minima then engine failure, diversion back to Glocuester with general handling (stalls and limited panel) on way back, then hold and asymmetric NDB and visual asymmetric circuit to land. Has been very demanding course even starting from an IMCR qualified FI but I’ve learnt a tremendous amount and really rewarding.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Yes… like a number of things (a fine example here) it was never published by the CAA, or if it was the publication was withdrawn as soon as it got posted in some pilot forum.

I know a guy who got it at least 10 years ago.

Most AMEs didn’t know about it either, which makes it kind of hard to find out… In fact the only AME I have met who did know about it was one who worked inside the CAA for a bit.

It has always been a sub-JAA concession, but JAA regs were never mandatory (in the EU regs are), but the more “adhering” countries (e.g. the UK) tried to, ahem, adhere to the regs, at least ostensibly… Some others were easier e.g. Hungary which became very well known. Ireland would give a JAA ATPL to anybody with an ICAO ATPL, for about 3 years until somebody spilt the beans on them.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The exemption (i.e. a day-only IR) has been available in the UK for at least 10 years, usually to pilots who could not get any of the colour vision tests. It was a closely guarded secret…

Tried several time by various ways to find a way getting the UK IR day only. Was rejected every time. Now with the new CB IR at least that is not what is holding me up.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

An IR requires an NFQ

The exemption (i.e. a day-only IR) has been available in the UK for at least 10 years, usually to pilots who could not get any of the colour vision tests. It was a closely guarded secret…

Administrator

Yes I know bookworm, but AFAIK, if one gets an IR without having an NFQ (or night rating, seems to differ from country to country), then they put something like “IR (day only)” to make this clear….

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Aug 19:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

An IR requires an NFQ.

Not any more. 245/2014, which introduced the CB IR, says

(20) FCL.610 is amended as follows:
(a) in point (a) paragraph (1), point (i) is replaced by the following:
‘(i) the privileges to fly at night in accordance with FCL.810, if the IR privileges will be used at night;

31 Posts
Sign in to add your message