Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PCL (pilot controlled lighting) over SMS / email - requirements?

I just discovered by chance that at LFPA (5 nm from LFPT), a guy developped, built and got approved a PCL system with autonomous lights charged with solar panels.
His system is triggered by PCL, smartphone, GSM or SMS according to his spec.
I used it a few days ago, it is very nice (LED lights).

This is his website : http://www.heurtevant-aerosystems.com/
The spec is here (French-only as as it sounds) : http://heurtevant-areosystem.gandi.ws/documents
I can help translating if somebody is interested.

The guy made it with very good quality components, all made in France. I don’t know him, ok

Another real-life evidence that French people are good technically but do crap in marketing/sales

LFOU, France

I have just ordered a load of these for our airfield in Northern Thailand.

http://shop.brightportalresources.com/

They may not last all night, but they should certainly last for the operating hours we need.
They are due to be delivered later this month. I will let you know how we get on.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

I fly a LOT in the USA where pilot controlled lighting works just fine.

If Peter’s device is reliable and circumvents the daft rules regarding use of VHF frequencies, then it should be quite a handy piece of kit, although it would always be a fairly niche market.

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

The details of the unit that is for sale on here say that the lights flash for a bit to warn of the impending blackness, allowing time for an inbound pilot to press again to reset the timer.

As far as I know it is possible to reset the timer at any time in the cycle, so people I know re-key on finals.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

PCL via VHF R/T is not failsafe in my experience, not even at licenced airfields (permitted in Denmark). I fly somewhat frequently to and from 3 licenced and 2 unlicenced airfields using PCL in total darkness, and I would say it works 9 out of 10 times. For what I know, the problem might not always be at the reciever end, maybe it could be something on the aircraft, bad antennas, unstable carrier wave or whatever – I would not know.

An advantage with the SMS could be an ensuing automatic SMS reply comfirming that the lights are activated or stating details of malfunction. But, using a cell phone could be a critical distraction when handflying VFR in the darkness.
Yes, the frequency for turning on the airfield lights is known by everybody but we do not see much abuse here. I would say that an advantage of VHF commanded PCL is just that, everybody knows the frequency, including pilots that did not intend to land there, but had to divert.

Besides, the power consumption of the full equipment of the latest PCL installation I know is 180 W, so noone is going to be ruined by the electricity bill even if there is a little abuse.

All the PCL systems I know switch off suddenly, without any warning, after approximately 30 minutes. Of course, when doing circuits, it usually seem to happen on short final.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I actually have a PCL VHF switch which I bought years ago for a project at our local private airfield, but don’t think we’ll ever get the lights installed anyway, if anyone is interested, PM me. I was going to put it on Ebay in the next few weeks.
Similar to this (same shop, previous version):
http://www.bestwindsocks.com/HTML/pilot-lighting.html

ORTAC

Who would have thunk it – there is one on eBay indeed.

That’s amazing. The surprising thing is the total weight of 6T. That is a lot…

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Feb 07:37
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Might sound a silly question, as I gather similar systems have been working all through the states, but do the lights suddenly go out after a given time period? Would it be possible/useful to do this gracefully (e.g. gradual dimming over 10 seconds). I keep thinking about the lights suddenly going out leaving you in a dark hole… Something I’m sure any night-rated pilot __should __be able to cope with, but that might be better to avoid.

I have occasionally imagined having a private strip with an ILS which can be turned on as PCL – you could probably pick up the gear on Ebay.

Who would have thunk it – there is one on eBay indeed.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

In general I think you should never be commited to land on a PCL strip. If you have a big airport as a realistic alternate, I think SMS will work ok. But is this market really this big? How many people have lights on private strips used by a few pilots?

If you choose the GSM provider properly the SMS will usually come in very fast. Sending the SMS from the aircraft will depend on the location but as this will be done close to the strip you can try if it works during daytime. If you want to switch on your light from FL200 you can still buy a satellite solution.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message