Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PowerFLARM Fusion - anyone using it?

Peter wrote:

You can’t radiate an “uncertified” ABS-B OUT signal (SIL=0) via a Mode S TXP.

This is nothing to do with Powerflarm however.

@Peter

I am not sure you´re correct about the part “..You can´t radiate..”.
The way I read Trigs FAQ answer is that you can indeed use a non certified (FLARM GPS) to “radiate” ADS-B-out (as SIL=0) in their mentioned Mode S transponders.

See Trig (OEM) statement about using FLARM GPS:

https://www.trig-avionics.com/support/support-faqs/ads-b-faqs/

“Can I use my FLARM GPS as a position source?
Yes, as long as you are not trying to meet any regulatory requirements. Most FLARM devices output GPS data using the NMEA protocol which is compatible with Trig transponders.
All Trig transponders look for $GPRMC NMEA messages.
Note – this GPS source gives you SIL = 0 , which is ignored by certain ADS-B In traffic receivers. Additionally, for US customers, SIL = 0 does not qualify you for either a traffic or weather uplink.
Trig recommends the use of the TN72 or TN70 which are visible to all ADS-B In traffic systems.”

Xtophe wrote:

Xtophe28-Oct-23 14:1552
Yeager wrote:
Are any of the available Traffic Collision Warning systems (such as PowerFlarm Fusion etc.) able to connect to the Trig TT31 (ADS-B out capable) Transponder and be used as the GPS source (SIL 0 or SIL 1+) for the Transponder?
The various “Flarm” boxes output the typical GPS NMEA messages on their output in addition to the traffic ones. The Trig transponder accept NMEA as GPS input. That will be SIL=0.
Last Edited by Yeager at 29 Oct 14:24
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

You can’t radiate an “uncertified” ABS-B OUT signal (SIL=0) via a Mode S TXP.

I think you can, if your GPS source is uncertified.

EGTR

SafeSky uses the same principle as PilotAware – getting the traffic info from the ground. Although PAW does it slightly better as the reception of their ground signal is better at altitude.

This is incorrect.

Pilot aware detects most things directly, and ‘live’
There are significant enhancements when in reach of a ground station. However the lates version means you only need to be in range of another PAW aircraft that can ’relay’a ground station to you that you may be not in range of.

I’m only interested in the main feature set but the other stuff is very useful.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 29 Oct 19:42
United Kingdom
I am not quite sure what it is about all the details in this thread. We got a Trig TT 21 S-transponder that gets positions from an uncertified GPS mouse for ADS-B OUT plus IN of course, using the Pilotaware Rosetta. I have set SIL-0 on the Trig, wonder what would happen if I set it for SIL-1 ??? Would anybody care and how would they know ?? Anyway, the Pilotaware Rosetta feeds the EasyVFR tablet via WIFI and a wire goes to the Trig for sending ADS-B OUT. We can see Flarm warnings occasinally and a lot of ADS-B traffic with acoustic warnings as well from the tablet speaker, no connection into headsets yet, don´t care. In my photo below – with poor forums pictures resolutions – there are aircraft shown by altitude, speed , positions and registrations. All our flights can be seen at common fight tracking sites with speeds, altitudes, registration, aircraft type and all, from takeoff to landing. Yeah, privacy concerns – nobody having his smartphone on 24 hours all year is qualified to whine about privacy I say, he can be tracked all the time. The blue aircraft is own ship, with line in 10 miles sections in front. So the range is more than 50 miles on the tablet. You can set vertical warnings, I did 1000 feet separation for warnings when a conflicting aircraft with less will turn red for alerts. So I don´t see much use for TCAS in typical GA (will never happen) , you don´t get positions from this, just altitude alerts and you are supposed to change flight levels for avoidance, same like with S transponder warnings and no ADS-B OUT , with only exact altitude transmitted. We get position warnings on the Trig display in times, no lat/long numbers shown then, so I tick them away when found. Not sure if ADS-B is stopped for long in this condition, the tracking sites don´t display interruptions in the flights. Anyway, ADS-B is just a little bit of extra safety in flight, no real 100 percent solution for traffic avoidance as long as there will be flying objects around without it. No, it will not help having exclusive faith in looking out the windows, lots of situations when this will not help at all. Vic

Last Edited by vic at 30 Oct 02:27
vic
EDME
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message