Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PowerFLARM Fusion - anyone using it?

A current iPhone / iPad can communicate through its SIM card and be still connected to a WiFi device at the same time. This used to be not possible in the distant past but Apple did some upgrades in this regard. The key is to configure the WiFi in a way it has not “gateway” set. Then the iOS knows it can not get anywhere using this WiFi. But then it is down to the actual app used if it can support this feature. For example ForeFlight currently blocks Internet access if it is connected to some traffic / ADS-B device. I did not test SkyDemon in this regard yet.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Sebastian_G18-Apr-23 19:4241
A current iPhone / iPad can communicate through its SIM card and be still connected to a WiFi device at the same time. This used to be not possible in the distant past but Apple did some upgrades in this regard. The key is to configure the WiFi in a way it has not “gateway” set. Then the iOS knows it can not get anywhere using this WiFi. But then it is down to the actual app used if it can support this feature. For example ForeFlight currently blocks Internet access if it is connected to some traffic / ADS-B device. I did not test SkyDemon in this regard yet.

Thanks for your response Sebastian.

Well, from what I can gather, the Bluetooth option on the PowerFLARM Fusion seems to be the easiest way forward, not having to deal with application compatibility with WIFI only.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

Regarding the “..There might be a possibility to use Bluetooth..”.

Do we know if it is in fact possible to use any of the 3 named units and maintain BOTH cellular network (mobile data) and WIFI received traffic info on iPad devices?

I never tried it myself, as I was happy with just the display of the AT-1 and didn’t feel a need to have the traffic displayed on my ipad.
I will give it a try and keep you posted. Please note it can be a while as I am facing an “AOG” situation (defective magneto) at the moment.

etn
EDQN, Germany

etn wrote:

I never tried it myself, as I was happy with just the display of the AT-1 and didn’t feel a need to have the traffic displayed on my ipad.
I will give it a try and keep you posted. Please note it can be a while as I am facing an “AOG” situation (defective magneto) at the moment.

As Sebastian mentioned, on newer iPhone and iPad devices, you´re no longer restricted to either Cellular OR WIFI, you can actually use both at the same time – though you´ll have to play with “gateways”. I prefer to just go Bluetooth for the comms between PowerFlarm Fusion and the iPad, and I therefor lean towards just getting a PowerFlarm Fusion to do so. This is how I see it.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

If one has multiple devices wanting to connect via WiFi (say Sky Echo, Golze, etc.) and one also wishes to use 4G or 5G data, is it feasible to use a “mobile router” and have all the devices plus the iPad connect to the router? Or do most of the devices want to act as the router themselves and hence only work when the iPad and iPhone connect to the network being provided by the device (Sky Echo, Golze, etc.)?

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

derek wrote:

If one has multiple devices wanting to connect via WiFi (say Sky Echo, Golze, etc.) and one also wishes to use 4G or 5G data, is it feasible to use a “mobile router” and have all the devices plus the iPad connect to the router? Or do most of the devices want to act as the router themselves and hence only work when the iPad and iPhone connect to the network being provided by the device (Sky Echo, Golze, etc.)?

That depends…. The Golze units can connect to an existing network.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

derek wrote:

If one has multiple devices wanting to connect via WiFi (say Sky Echo, Golze, etc.) and one also wishes to use 4G or 5G data, is it feasible to use a “mobile router” and have all the devices plus the iPad connect to the router?

Some devices like the ADL can be a WiFi client while others can only be the access point. But in general I would rather try to put a SIM card directly into the iPad/iPhone and get 4G that way while having the WiFi available for local device connections and not yet another box. Which list of devices do you plan to connect?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

At the moment, it is mostly theoretical, as I’m not flying much at the moment. I own a Sky Echo 2, and have found it fiddly to get working. If I were doing more flying, I would invest in one of your devices, which look excellent, so was thinking about how I would connect everything.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Are any of the available Traffic Collision Warning systems (such as PowerFlarm Fusion etc.) able to connect to the Trig TT31 (ADS-B out capable) Transponder and be used as the GPS source (SIL 0 or SIL 1+) for the Transponder?

I am trying to figure out if I would need a separate GPS receiver module (such as Trig TN72 or TN70) or if the PowerFlarm Fusion functions as this as well?

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Not the same thing, but the PowerMouse comes with its own GPS antenna in the package. PowerMouse can also be ordered/extended with ADSB-IN as an option. But I still don’t think that this can be used as a GPS source for a separate transponder.

PowerMouse_Manual_EN_Ver0118_rev_31_pdf

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message