Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Propeller overhaul (merged)

We did ours with MT Propeller in Straubing.
As we didn’t want any downtime, we order a exchange propeller.
We get a very good service from them arrived in the morning had great lunch at the airport restaurant during prop exchange.
After lunch we did the dynamic balancing and test flight. I headed home at 4pm.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Just to add to the body of knowledge I’ve just had mine done at the same place mentioned by Peter General Aero Services and I’m very pleased – the plane seems smoother now as well :)

Last Edited by WillC at 22 Nov 21:38
Rochester EGTO

This is a good point… I had my prop done there too 2 years ago and didn’t bother to dynamically balance it, since the plane feels at least as smooth as before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had mine done 2 years ago by MT and was VERY pleased. Much smoother ops than before and actually a few knots win. So it was really not a bad idea to do it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I have to overhaul my 3 blade MT propeller next year, too.

As I understand from @achimha, the overhaul is optional for a N registered airplane??
Should I perform the overhaul anyway, for safety?

Thank you.

Last Edited by AlexTB20 at 23 Nov 13:35
LRIA, Romania

AlexTB20 wrote:

overhaul is optional for a N registered airplane??
Should I perform the overhaul anyway, for safety?

Propeller overhaul, as with engine overhaul, is performed based on condition for N-registered aircraft. Propellers very often get serviced when they leak oil at the hub or as a matter of convenience when they are dismounted for an engine overhaul. Overhaul then comes when the propeller shop finds enough wrong with the prop that it is justified – otherwise the propeller is very often serviced (not overhauled) without blade work specified in the overhaul procedure that manditorily removes metal when it may be inappropriate based on condition. On an MT prop (I have one too) with wood blades this is not an issue, but the fiberglass weather shield is sometimes delaminated (particularly at the blade roots) and in that case needs to be repaired to prevent water ingress which can rot the blade. Same with the MT leading edge protection – when heavily damaged it needs to be replaced.

My MT three bladed prop was not heavily utilized for years after installation, and was not often in humid conditions, but FWIW was basically as new when inspected at 13 years since manufacture. It was overhauled because MT wanted to update the blade seals (the originals were a leak prone design) and this required machining the hub – which is apparently allowed under their overhaul procedure, but would not be legal as service on a type certified item. This was 5 years ago and I expect the overhaul to go many more years in my service before it needs anything. One of these days I’ll get it dynamically balanced (a friend has the equipment and it only takes a couple of hours) but so far I haven’t as it runs smoothly.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Nov 16:16

Hello,

For the overhaul of my variable pitch de-iced two bladed prop I got quoted a little over 5k ex the VAT. Is this the going rate? Just wondering before I get the vaseline. What would a entirely new prop cost then?

Thanks!

Mark

Last Edited by Bobo at 24 Sep 13:08
EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

I am wondering what an entirely new prop would cost then

These from new,
https://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018-Price-List-Orig.pdf local copy

On old ones, 74 inch 3 blades + spinner may come around 25k

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Which prop ?
I overhauled a McCauley C214 and paid 2150 € (without VAT, 2 years ago)

I overhauled the same prop in may and it was about 7K.

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message