Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Red Sea, Egypt to Iraklion, Greece

I must commend you achimha on your write up and determination to leave your comfort zone.

Living in Asia makes me also realise how risk averse the West really has become, especially over the last decade or so.

Amongst the many reasons I enjoy living in this part of the world, is that you have to live by your wits on many days and you are allowed near the line of acceptable behavior on your own recognizance rather then pushed back by a layer upon layer of regulations and jobsworth's implementing them. Granted if you cross that line you are in a whole world of grief, but I prefer it that way.

I keep observing the next generation dumbed down by a mindless education system, and the addiction to easy thrills on little LCD screens. Is our greatest achievement this decade going to be remembered as the proliferation of angry birds?

Sadly, I suspect that the freedoms we currently enjoy as pilots will slowly be taken away under the guise of for our own safety, so let us keep pushing to enjoy all those hard earned flight privileges at every opportunity.

I very much look forward to your next report. :-)

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Pretty good AP the KFC200, flew with the KFC150 on the Seneca I did my initial IR with. Have to say however the setup Achim flies looks VERY attractive.

Regarding the security and safety mania of these days, yea, I agree with Achim and some others here. Not only for aviation for that matter but generally. Too many people today keep shouting "dangerous" while working up a conorary disease on their sofa munching chips.

I keep it with Ben Franklin's old saying: Whoever is willing to give up essential freedoms for a bit of temporary security deserves neither.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Absolutely awsum story. What an experience!!!

Great photo and narration Achim Miss flying around El Gouna :) Loved the easy jet crew reply :D Hope to see and DEDGK again soon in Egypt ;)

KFC200?

Yeah. If I remember correctly, the T-Arrow IV (D-ELMS, still flying) I flew at that time had such a thing.

EDXQ

KFC200? ;-)

I have a friend in Texas who regularly flew his Grumman Goose around the world (Spain, Japan, Brazil) with a COMPASS and a map.

When I asked him how he flew to Florida from Texas without a GPS he said "oh, that's easy, you fly east until you see the Atlantic Ocean, then you turn right".

Said the biggest pussy with her DFC90 A/P to keep her within the envelope. ;-)

Btw, I flew in the 80s. It was just VOR/NDB/HSI/KFC200 but not the stone ages.

EDXQ

ACHIMHA,after having read the GASE webpage,I take back my old knowledge and start becoming an Egypt enthousiast again. Insh'allah though,since our nations have had a 4000 year cooperation.

LGGG

Storry of my life

Ditto!

Where I have been successful in my entrepreneurial career, it was where I did the opposite of what others told me and where I took risks everybody said I shouldn't take.

Storry of my life Great report!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message