Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requirements for flights with passengers

@Vladimir, yes I edited my post at the same time for night takeoff as I spotted you only need 1 to/ldgs, this could be waived if you have a current IR (guess EIR/IRR counts)

For 2. Yes, having two PICs logged is problematic in EASA land, the sensible answer depends on which logbook you are looking at, the definitive answer is in the aircraft log

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

guess EIR/IRR counts

The EIR, I have no idea, but the IMCR (IRR) certainly doesn’t. It would have been great if it did because revalidating the IMCR is good for 25 months and you would not have to worry about carrying a passenger at sunset + 30 mins for those 25 months.

A lot of people fly mostly daytime (I do too; most airports are simply not open late enough, and I prefer early morning departures for the best wx) and often end up “somewhat less than legal” at the end of the return flight back home, with the sun setting…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I have a valid IR do I need the single night to/ldg (to carry a passenger)?

What if two SEP rated pilots are on board a SEP?
EASA view is only one is pic and the other is passenger? Stupid!

always learning
LO__, Austria

In US, the night currency restriction on carrying passengers is based on the period 1 hour past sunset to 1 hour before sunrise. This is a different standard than night.Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the Air Almanac, converted to local time.This definition is after sunset and before sunrise and depending on the latitude, is typically about a half hour. So I call the time between official night to 1 hour past sunset to be “sorta night” and past the 1 hour point to be “dark night”. In the US, you don’t need to be night current to carry passengers during “sorta night”, but you do have to be current to carry passengers during “dark night”.

Logging PIC flight time and acting as PIC are two very loosely related terms in FAA land. Being the sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft for which the pilot is rated can be logged as PIC. If a pilot friend goes up with you while you are “dark night” current, you can do your three takeoffs and landings to a full stop at “dark night” to maintain your night currency and the other pilot may be a passenger. If you are not night current in the aircraft, but the pilot friend is current, the pilot friend may act as PIC, and if you are the sole manipulator of the controls, both of you can log PIC, even though technically you are a passenger. Flying with a flight instructor providing dual instruction, neither of you are a passenger of each other. The instructor does not have to act as PIC and does not need to be night current. You can act as PIC at “dark night” and regain your currency while receiving dual instruction from an also not night current instructor.

KUZA, United States

A brilliant clear post

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes because the FAA differentiates between acting as PIC and logging as PIC.
PIC can be logged whenever you are the sole pilot manipulating the controls (including the autopilot).
So a first officer in a B747 can log pic when he is the pilot flying, and the captain logs bic because he is the pic.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

That bit is new, because in Europe you had to do those 3 flights solo.

Depends on what you mean by “new”. The wording in both the regs and the AMC/GM have been the same since part-FCL was published in 2011.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Snoopy wrote:

If I have a valid IR do I need the single night to/ldg (to carry a passenger)?

No.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Snoopy wrote:

EASA view is only one is pic and the other is passenger? Stupid!

PIC is the responsible pilot on board. If they are at the controls is irrelevant. Example: On long commercial flights the PIC goes to sleep but is further the PIC, even when not in the cockpit. So logging as PIC is not the same as logging as PF (pilot flying). But the landing requirements are for PF (i.e. you are at the controls), not for PIC.

NCYankee wrote:

Logging PIC flight time and acting as PIC are two very loosely related terms in FAA land. Being the sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft for which the pilot is rated can be logged as PIC.

Same here.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Same here
If your “here” is EASA-land and we are talking about SPA’s, this is definitely not true. The legal PIC is the only one able to log PIC-time for a flight (apart from flight instruction). See AMC1.FCL050

Friedrichshafen EDNY
Sign in to add your message