Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP/MEP/IR Revalidation

Cobalt wrote:

In reality, you just go and fly three approaches in the SEP on your own.

Sure! But you must have done it before the MEP/IR checkride, otherwise the examiner will not sign the form…

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

But you must have done it before the MEP/IR checkride, otherwise the examiner will not sign the form…

Exactly why I am asking – still have 2 months to do it.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

And if I have the 12s but not three instrument approaches in SEP, does SEP/IR get revalidated with the MEP/IR?

Then you need 3 approaches. You can do those on your own.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Do they have to be as PIC? Because I have them (with one well known Mooney ) but not as PIC.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Do they have to be as PIC?

Yes. Like every other requirement for revalidating single-pilot licenses and ratings.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Like every other requirement for revalidating single-pilot licenses and ratings.

The 12 hours SEP don’t have to be PIC, only 6 of them.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

The 12 hours SEP don’t have to be PIC, only 6 of them.

Of course there is always one exception

EDDS - Stuttgart

@Vladimir What you’re looking for is in FCL.625.A and the appendixes it references.

what_next wrote:

No. You will need to do an extra checkride in the SEP.

I think the three departures and approaches only apply if your ME checkride is MP. It’s not there because of ME/ SE, but because of MP/ SP. It should be in Appendix 8.

RobertL18C wrote:

Your biannual SEP rating renewal is not a test

It’s not called renewal unless it’s expired.

Martin wrote:

I think the three departures and approaches only apply if your ME checkride is MP.

I don’t think so, because I just revalidated all my ratings in february:

A MP checkride in an MP type, which I had to do twice, one time from the left seat and then again from the right seat. So that my company can employ me as captain and co-pilot or supervision captain (for the sake of type rating revalidation, a left hand check ride would have been sufficient).

An MEP/IR checkride to revalidate my MEP classrating with instument rating. This I did from the left seat only as this time I did not have to revalidate my class rating instuctor rating, in which case I would have had to fly from the right hand seat… This checkride was a true single-pilot check in which the examiner did nothing but sit and watch. This checkride also revalidated my SEP/IR (only the IR part, because the SEP classrating was still valid for another year) because of my minimum of three approaches (flown as instructor and therefore PIC) in the last 12 months.

Sounds complicated? Ask my colleague who also has a floatplane and floatplane instructor rating on top of that…

EDDS - Stuttgart

@what_next It sounds pretty much as I expect it to (separate checks for left and right seat in MP ops and for instructors). But that MP checkride should have taken care of all your IRs as long as you meet that 3 departures and approaches requirement. Take a look at Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 page 149. The requirement is in the footnote. You’re the first case (MP TR). Vladimir is the fourth (SP ME CR operated as SP). It’s of course possible I read it wrong, this table isn’t exactly foolproof.

I think this appendix was recently amended and it’s not yet in a consolidated version. It shouldn’t change anything (relevant to this discussion), but I won’t dig into it.

Sign in to add your message