Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP/MEP/IR Revalidation

Aeroplus, it would not be the case that your IR-SEP had expired due to an administrative error or omission?
Have you had your MEP-IR revalidated previously? And should your IR-SEP not have been revalidated at the same time?
Maybe if you can show that you fulfilled all the requirements for revalidating your IR-SEP at an earlier time, and so you should really have had a valid IR-SEP by now, then you should be entitled to have your IR-SEP back again by administrative means only?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Hmm the UK flight examiner handbook would seem to agree with the Dutch

In the UK one way round this could be to get your IR(R) renewed at same time as it is not tied to class rating so you could use IR(R) privileges for SE, although that wouldn’t help enroute I suppose

Now retired from forums best wishes

I have a question as to the renewal of my IR for SEP.

I have done a profcheck MEP(L) / IR. My IR for SEP seemingly had expired, so I had hoped that by doing the MEP/IR profcheck, the IR for SEP would become valid as well. So, one examiner tells me that I did a Single-Pilot IR profcheck, so it should be valid for both MEP and SEP if I did the profcheck on a MEP aircraft. I have been flying loads of approaches in a SEP and MEP in the last year as well.

However, the Dutch issuing authorities refer to Appendix 8 stating that cross-referencing cannot happen when I have to renew my IR for SEP as in that situation cross-referencing does not work as Appendix 8 is only for Revalidating ratings. On the other hand, the examiner believes it should be possible.

I am confused. Any help appreciated.

From the EASA Part-FCL definitions:

“Renewal” (of, e.g. a rating or certificate) means the administrative action taken after a rating or
certificate has lapsed for the purpose of renewing the privileges of the rating or certificate for a
further specified period consequent upon the fulfilment of specified requirements.
“Revalidation” (of, e.g. a rating or certificate) means the administrative action taken within the
period of validity of a rating or certificate which allows the holder to continue to exercise the
privileges of a rating or certificate for a further specified period consequent upon the fulfilment of
specified requirements.

EDLE, Netherlands

Quick question on this topic:

I have a SEP IR rating. In order to keep my IR I have to do a yearly checkflight with an examiner. Which forms from the LBA website do I have to use for this checkflight? Thank you!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 May 16:46
always learning
LO__, Austria

what_next wrote:

If that document is already in force.

That part is still the original, meaning from 2011 (in that consolidated version; as I wrote, I believe it was recently amended) – nothing new. However, which parts of it are in force in which countries and from what dates is beyond me (I never tried to understand it; trying to make heads or tails of the regulation itself is enough).

I wonder if these regulations affect the 90-day-rule in a similar way. Until now, you needed your three IR departures and approaches on every type you have in your license before carrying passenger.

No, that isn’t affected (PS: AFAIK). You need it for every class and type separately (unless otherwise specified in OSD/ OSB report). However, those are general take-offs, approaches and landings, you don’t have to fly IFR. If you want a reference, page 25 of the same document I linked earlier.

Last Edited by Martin at 13 Apr 20:43

what_next wrote:

Until now, you needed your three IR departures and approaches on every type you have in your license before carrying passenger.

Really? I thought it was just 3 landings, no special IR requirement.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Martin wrote:

So, if I go back to the original remark, he shouldn’t need three IFR departures and approaches. And you shouldn’t have needed them either the way you did it…

You are right! If that document is already in force. My examiner didn’t know about it yet, six weeks ago. In my case it didn’t really matter as I get my SEP instrument approaches through instructing. I wonder if these regulations affect the 90-day-rule in a similar way. Until now, you needed your three IR departures and approaches on every type you have in your license before carrying passenger.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

But the MEP classrating is valid only for one year. So revalidating my MEP/IR with the Citation checkride would have been useless, because the MEP itself would have expired.

Yes, this I understand. But it’s besides the point (you actually can get the credit). And Vladimir is in a different position. So, if I go back to the original remark, he shouldn’t need three IFR departures and approaches. And you shouldn’t have needed them either the way you did it – as you can see in that table, the footnote doesn’t apply in that case (ME class rating operated as SP)

Martin wrote:

But that MP checkride should have taken care of all your IRs as long as you meet that 3 departures and approaches requirement.

Jein, as we say in Germany (a combination of yes and no). I could have revalidated my SEP/IR with the Citation checkride and those three SEP/IR approaches flown myself. Which would have made sense because the SEP classrating is valid for two years. But the MEP classrating is valid only for one year. So revalidating my MEP/IR with the Citation checkride would have been useless, because the MEP itself would have expired. I would have had to do an MEP checkride anyway, but not necessarily IFR. As it makes no difference in duration of the flight or examiner cost, I did an IR check on the MEP which made me independent of the weather.

EDDS - Stuttgart

@what_next It sounds pretty much as I expect it to (separate checks for left and right seat in MP ops and for instructors). But that MP checkride should have taken care of all your IRs as long as you meet that 3 departures and approaches requirement. Take a look at Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 page 149. The requirement is in the footnote. You’re the first case (MP TR). Vladimir is the fourth (SP ME CR operated as SP). It’s of course possible I read it wrong, this table isn’t exactly foolproof.

I think this appendix was recently amended and it’s not yet in a consolidated version. It shouldn’t change anything (relevant to this discussion), but I won’t dig into it.

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message