Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA for lunch and the beach September 2023

Peter wrote:

I have not flown an OHJ in years – at EGKA or anywhere else.

Just ask for a left/right base etc.

OHJs tend to be used (in the UK generally) where ATC cannot get any more into the circuit. At some UK airfields, non ATC, the OHJ was used by “little hitler” A/G radio guys to make life difficult – the long defunct Panshanger was one example, with a RH OHJ which is especially difficult to visualise.

Peter, where is the downwind for EGKA / Eastern circuit?
When I arrived on Friday, I had to follow an aircraft in front of me and they went outside the hang-gliding area, so very wide.
What is the right one?

EGTR

There is a circuit drawing somewhere but I don’t know where. Also it was declared as “for guidance only” after that mid-air where the RV climbed rapidly and collided with the DA40 on crosswind.

I fly a fairly tight circuit unless there is somebody else ahead and then the universal protocol is to follow them no matter how wide a circuit they are flying.

Some people fly huge circuits; it depends on the instructor…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Some people fly huge circuits; it depends on the instructor…

AFAI can see, circuits are published… 1st by zooming in using SD, 2nd/3rd AFE plates.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

AIUI, IIRC, these diagrams are entirely advisory.

There are no specific “aggressive” noise abatement areas. On 20 departure there is a slight right turn (as shown above) but most people don’t bother. Some of the circuits are 2x the above!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message