Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skidded turn death stall.

Coordinated flight is taught. But why the need to fly coordinated, is not often explained. 20 degree turns are standard rate, so good practice to ingrain for people who go on to IR training.

I have, and I think most of us have, pushed the rudder a little extra to try to tighten a turn, or line up with rwy, or intercept a localizer at some point. It’s not like this the practice of extremely sloppy pilots – it’s a practice of a majority I would venture.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 07 Nov 16:21
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Perhaps we need aircraft with pronounced adverse yaw to properly teach use of rudder, like the old training taildraggers.

I learned to fly in a glider. You really learned how to handle adverse yaw…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

+1 on learning in gliders, you really need to use rudder that and be more careful than in 172. And every glider is different and requires you to use a different level of boot in. This is not that visible and clear in powered aircraft.

LKKU, LKTB

I’m also all for starting out in gliders. And one might find out after a while that as far as leisure aviation goes he/ she doesn’t need more. Also, under EASA there is an interesting path to LAPL(A)/ PPL(A) via TMGs, especially so if you want to get IR early. You can also learn basics of instrument flying in a glider by getting a cloud flying rating. And it seems the training for it could be credited towards IR (via the CB route). But that’s just my interpretation (the wording suggests it but that might not be enough since sailplanes are a different category) and your NAA might disagree.

I also started with gliders. I wouldn’t say rudder is more necessary there than for a Cub on hard surface in a cross wind.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message