Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

Peter wrote:

Not sure if I’ve written this before but the airline cost is not far off the TB20 cost, by the time you add up the luggage and “sports equipment” surcharges.

Always an important data point. I amazes me frequently to come to a similar conclusion for my own travels – despite not having to do with "sports equipment’. Travel stays expensive …

Frequent travels around Europe

By the time you chuck in €220 (or some other silly price – taxis are always total ripoffs) for the taxi from LOWS to “somewhere”, it’s not even close.

And if you talk about going short notice, GA wins easily. That’s for 2 persons; for 3 it’s even better.

Even airport parking here (Gatwick) is 50 quid for 3 nights… the list of costs is as long as your arm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not to be nosy but what is your hourly cost variable and fixed included? Mine come close to 300Euros/hr at 80hrs/yr in the states it was $250 /100 hrs Most of the increaseis the added cost of fuel.

How much does a car rental go for? I suppose its more than 200 Euros for the length of your stay.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

FWIW, taxi from Salzburg to Filzmoos is €110 each way.

How do you arrive at that? Salzburg airport has numerous shuttle services to the various ski resorts, see here.

Yes; we are using Taxi Jäger, on that list. One can use public transport but then you spend hours hanging around and the first day is wasted. That’s the other problem with airline travel – you need (in this case) to be up by 3am for EZY from EGKK

Also, against the taxi cost you have to factor two (or three) lots of train or bus tickets.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

though somebody flying to Zell would go to ⁠⁠⁠Schittenhöhe or Kaprun

They’d more likely go to Schmittenhöhe. Sorry to fussy about it, but Schittenhöhe, by the sound of it, translates into something like sh*tting hill.

Enjoy the trip and I’ll be very curious to hear your feedback! We’ll be flying in three and a half weeks.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I think I pasted what Achim sent me, so you can send him a PM asking him why he doesn’t post here anymore

The Filzmoos webcams are here and it looks OK though maybe not for much longer.

Administrator

We are planning to fly to Flugplatz Hohenems in the Rhine valley. I called them up and a week of parking is just 4,50 euro per day and the landing fee something like 14,50 euro. I don’t have to reserve a parking space or anything else; just file a flightplan and come.

What I like about this airfield is that I can do a cloud-brake at Sankt-Gallen Altenrhein and then fly along the Rhine valley up to the Hohenems airfield which is just 7 NM further. So, it is quite easy to get to the airfield. They do try to keep the runway snow free. However, if at arrival it is snowing quite heavily, they might wait a bit to clean the runway. Good to know that a nearby alternate is just around the corner.

We are skiing this time with the family in Schruns, which is a 45 minute taxi drive from the Hohemens airport. The price I got was 110 euro to bring us from the airfield to our Chalet in Schruns. Not a bad price I think.

This time I am flying a Piper Archer 3 and created a flightplan from Lelystad to Hohemens like this: http://bit.ly/1UmIK4U
If all works well, then the great ADL device from Sebastian will show an actual track of where I am flying on Saturday morning on the same link.

It will be a first time for me to Austria as I normally fly to Courchevel or the French Alps. Will try to keep everyone updated on the snow conditions. However, we seem to not have WIFI in our Chalet, so I might be without proper internet for the whole week :-)

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 25 Feb 13:57
EDLE, Netherlands

Filzmoos is great

Had this all to myself because all the real skiers were going down some 45 degree slope

Administrator

These picture were of the German Alps 1.5 hrs from Munich. Westernberg/Winklmoosalm-Steinplatte Part of it was in Germany and the more difficult Intermediate Terrain was in Austria. It was a good Intermediate Mountain to practice ones technique. The ski group got a package 85 Euro a night which includes Breakfast and Dinner bus ticket to the mountain and admittance to the Spa facility next door. If you wanted go into the sauna and steam bath it was an additional 5 Euros. The lift ticket was 45Euros. The lesson was 20 Euros for the day. We stayed at http://www.hotel-sonnenhof-ruhpolding.de/

My suggestion is not to go during any local holiday or on weekends. I was traveling with 1/2 of Nederlands on the Autobahn 8 toward the Alps on Sat.

Brits, Americans, and Romanesque speaking countries were required to rent mirrored sunglasses (10 Euros) while in the Sauna Area.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message