Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skipping checklist items due to stressful events

I thought I was fairly stress-resistant, but recently, after several serious errors of exactly this type – skipping major checklist items when under stress – I feel a bit perplexed. There is no problem when everything is normal, nor in a “reasonable” abnormal situation, but under e.g. a combination of two unrelated abnormalities things go pear-shaped way more often and way more seriously than they should. There has been a bit too much background stress in my life lately, which may have contributed to the overall situation. Has anyone been in a situation like this, and how did you manage it? I mean, we are all more or less trained to handle such things, but here is clearly a trend that didn’t exist before.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 26 Aug 20:08
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

There has been a bit too much background stress in my life lately, which may have contributed to the overall situation. Has anyone been in a situation like this, and how did you manage it? I mean, we are all more or less trained to handle such things, but here is clearly a trend that didn’t exist before

Follow the checklist rigourously. Best solution to emotional problems or life stress. If it is really too much then don’t fly.

EGTK Oxford

Forgot to close the cowling once in the Pawnee. Noticed it the moment I got in the air and landed straight ahead on the rest of the runway. Closed it and took off in the opposite direction. Just luck I didn’t have a glider behind, and this could get difficult very fast. Another time I forgot to close (latch properly) the door/window, but this time with a glider behind, and the window popped open. The Pawnee can fly with the window open, but below zero it gets awfully cold in there. Closed it when I landed again.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Robert, a nice story but I find the great benefit of checklists to be when I am tired or rushed. Can I do everything without a checklist almost without fail – yes. Should I? No..

EGTK Oxford

Jason, posted tongue in cheek. The flow method of checks however is a good technique, and also the concept of killer items for pre take off (trim, flaps, full and free, fuel) – we still get accidents where transport aircraft attempt take off with control locks on.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Sorry missed it and I agree. I still check after cleared for tskeoff, trim, flaps and controls.

EGTK Oxford

@Robertl18c

Why tongue in cheek? I don’t use a checklist for external checks (what do I do with the damn thing on a windy day while checking the oil?). I do inside the plane. This is the first time I’ve ever confessed to the “crime.” The external checks are to check the plane in reality. I really tend to look. And I do feel like a sinner not fumbling with a card or booklet while needing my hands free, but it is easier to do the simple job for a FG SEP without one. My goal is to determine the plane is ready to fly, not to prove I am following a checklist. You aren’t checking that many things. And on he issue of distraction, what’s to stop you from skipping an item on the checklist if you get distracted?

Frankly, inside the cockpit too, I would find it easier do do it all from memory, but I’ve been convinced that I’ll fall out of the sky if I attempt such a feat, so I don’t.

Tököl LHTL

RobertL18C wrote:

http://airfactsjournal.com/2011/11/is-your-checklist-really-necessary/

The argument seems to be that if you have “good airmanship”, then you will never forget anything. Well, reality has disproved that many times.

But the checklists I use really are checklists so they don’t include the steps to start the engine.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I do checks from memory, but very few items in a simple, no-flaps, light control forces, VFR plane are killers. Most problems have been spotted outwith checklists. Engine sound, on climb-out (exhaust) and cruise (fuel restriction and sticky valve). I’ve spotted brake and tailwheel problems while taxiing and on landing. Being alert to anything unusual matters.
I take longer on pre-flight than most others I see doing them.
The checklist cards I’ve used in US are much simpler and sensible than the many pages UK flying schools use.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message