Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22-G2 (# 2206) ALT 1 Failure

Repaired the failure today. Alternator 1 checked out ok, all the wires too.

Opened the MCU (Master Control Unit) that was designed by somebody who does not have to repair it (…) and after de-installation of a circuit board and some other stuff we managed to get out the Alt 1 Field Control Module. Changed it, put everything back togther, sealed the cover of the box again …

Everything back to normal, works perfectly. Work was done by my A/P with my help. New Voltage regulator seems to be an improved version with a new part number, so I hope it’s better quality.

I think that it was quite easy to understand what i meant: An emergency in a simulator is not the same (psychologically) as a real one in IMC.

Flyer59 wrote:

In a simulator anything is a non event :-)

Makes me wonder if you ever flew them for real and not just as fun.

I’ve done both and I do know the difference. And while journalist rides or test rides on sims can be great challenge and fun, training sessions and exam sessions are usually the opposite.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well, I wrote it here twice, didn’t I? Or is there some kind of misunderstanding?

Sorry, I meant to write that I didn’t know it, before you wrote it!.

@Martin
I am not going to cross the Atlantic in the Cirrus, and I am pretty aware of the dangers of system failures.

Flyer59 wrote:

I don’t know what systems you have to switch off with the newer electric systems.

Well, I wrote it here twice, didn’t I? Or is there some kind of misunderstanding?

Flyer59 wrote:

But even in mine I would have enough time to get out of IMC and land

Unless you’re just crossing the North Atlantic, for example.

I know that, I’ve flown many sims (ATR72, B747, Eurofighter) … unfortunately never the SR22 Sim! For 2 years now I want to fly to Poznan, and I will.
I don’t know what systems you have to switch off with the newer electric systems. Of course that’s a safer system than the older version, no doubt about it. But with the Avidyne you can fly the plane safely on Alt 2 aswell.

even in mine I would have enough time to get out of IMC and land, I think BAT 1 should last about 30-45 minutes

Way too short… in some situations I have been in, being forced to fly an IAP within 30-45 mins would be an all out emergency.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

In a simulator anything is a non event

In the plane, ALT1 failure would be a non-event as well.

BTW, that sim feels very realistic because it’s an original cockpit and you have the full motion. My first instructor also told me about an instance where after an engine failure in IMC, the pilot crashed the plane (instead of using the parachute), and he just asked: “Do you have kids? What if this was for real?” and sent him home only 5 minutes after the start of the lesson to think about it. So it is really not like playing around on MS Flight Simulator.

I also wouldn’t say it offers “more redundancy”, because I can well fly without air condition and my iPad charger. I would call it “fully redundant”. The list of things to switch off in the Avidyne have the potential of making me feel uncomfortable, depending on the circumstances.

In a simulator anything is a non event :-)
But you are right, the later system offers more redundancy. But even in mine I would have enough time to get out of IMC and land, I think BAT 1 should last about 30-45 minutes, and then I’d still have Alt2/Bat2 for navigation and radio.

66 Posts
Sign in to add your message