Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stolen flight bag ... what to do ?

Hello,

I will try the submission of the request via email, although I am not sure this will work.
Anyway, to proceed that way I need to include a check or money order for $2 (U.S. funds), made payable to FAA, for each certificate you request.

Is there anyone from the US who can help with getting a money order or check ?

Thanks in advance !

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

Still trying to see if I have to go physically to the US or if this can be done remotely…

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst…

LFPT, LFPN

Jacko wrote:

FAA certificate- there should be a form on website

Hello, For your information I have contacted the FAA. Seems to be more complicated:
Your certificate needs to be re-verified.

The initial step in re-verifying your “restricted” certificate based on your foreign license is to submit a “Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License” to AFS-760 requesting Civil Aviation Authority in your country verify the validity of your foreign pilot license, ratings and medical certificate.
__
This form is located on our website at http://registry.faa.gov choose Airmen Certification, then under Certificates select “Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating or Medical Certification”.

After your country has verified the authenticity of your foreign pilot license we will send the information to the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) you have designated and a copy to you. You will then contact an Inspector at that FSDO and set up an appointment to complete the process

Still trying to see if I have to go physically to the US or if this can be done remotely…Let’s hope there is no need to go physically to the FSDO….

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Nope.

EASA Part FCL 050:

The pilot shall keep a reliable record of the details of all flights flown in a form and manner established by the competent
authority.

AMC1 to Part FCL 050 then specifies in ridiculous detail a format that should be used. I can produce that output with Excel if required…

The “competent authority” (your local CAA) can specify the form and manner, and I have no idea how they would go about it, but EASA-FCL itself does only require a reliable record.

Biggin Hill

Aviathor wrote:

I never have carried my logbook with me over the 20 years I have been flying, except for training flights or tests.

Well it’s true that it’s not part of the papers you must have on board… I usually have it with me but enter the flight in a e-logbook as well.

For endorsements some people have them signed as a separate document o that it is not linked to some old logbook you may one day lose (well, losing a sheet of paper is pretty easy too but easier to carry around if needed).

As for e-logbooks, it seems the EASA regulations forbids noncommercial pilots to have them as primary logbooks ? (hours should be recorded in ink or something of that sort)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

I happened to loose my logbook several years ago. Our CAA would not move until I presented a “declaration of loss or theft” by the local police. Local police were quite reluctant, having never heard of a legal document called a pilot’s logbook. Once I could convince them, things went more or less smooth, though of course they took some time.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Airborne_Again wrote:

How can you do without it in case of a ramp check? Endorsements which in many cases are necessary for a legal flight (e.g. for differences training) are only found in the log book.

Been ramp checked twice in Europe in the last 12 months and nobody ever asked for my EFIS, SLPC, RG, VP or other differences training.

The problem with having lost the logbook is that you probably have your BFR in there, as well as high-performance/complex endorsements…

I never have carried my logbook with me over the 20 years I have been flying, except for training flights or tests.

LFPT, LFPN

Taking this to it’s logical conclusion, you may have to carry around an old logbook for the rest of your life, if it contains some vital one-off endorsement e.g. the FAA “high perf” one (over 200HP, IIRC – I had to get that for the TB20 and it was, ahem, almost forgotten).

In some cases, a later license/rating (e.g. a CPL) may imply the existence of the earlier endorsement, but for most private pilots there is no later license/rating.

So this issue is self evidently not an issue.

No idea how people deal with this with electronic logbooks. I think we did this here before… some instructors are willing to do a signature on an Ipad screen, but I know for sure most won’t, so you end up with an electronic logbook and a load of ageing bits of paper which are printouts from the electronic logbook with signatures on them. These will need to be scanned and inserted back into the electronic logbook (if you want it all electronic).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think you just need your licence.

Exactly. All the other stuff will only be checked in case of an incident or accident. Even the nastiest French ramp inspectors never asked me for my logbook. And more and more (commercial) pilots do not even have paper logbooks any more.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Are you actually required to have evidence of the endorcement with you? I’ve never seen that in the list of documents to be carried.

In What_next’s case that could mean having to carry around 8 logbooks!

I think you just need your licence.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message