Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Strong crosswind landing, and techniques

Some Cessnas have an issue with full flap slips, I’m not aware of this being an issue on other types.

Otherwise, the thing to remember is that if you’re coming down like a safe it will take time to arrest the descent rate and you need to come out of the slip with enough altitude to allow a transition to a normal approach. This tends to be an issue with a plane having higher wing loading.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jul 21:11

I’m with What_Next. Totally excessive and unnecessary manipulation of the controls.

He looks as if he had maybe 10-12 deg of drift…… on a dry runway…… which was rather long…….. on a beautiful day. :yawn:

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Some Cessnas have an issue with full flap slips, I’m not aware of this being an issue on other types.

That’s worth knowing, perhaps that is what the examiner had in mind. Thanks.

All my P1 & Pu/t time has been low wing and I’ve done a slide slip at a safe altitude with an instructor in each aircraft checkout I have flown. If it ever goes quiet up front and the best field in sight looks like it might disappear under the nose I want an option that I am moderately confident of pulling off……

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

I also don’t use the side slip.
I think it reduces aileron and rudder control authority and limits the available control movement on the side where you slip. Which in heavy turbulence or gusts close to hangar halls can be dangerous.
It doesn’t really work well when you descent down the glideslope in IMC, because the instruments are not aligned. And the autopilot doesn’t fly it that way either.
And passengers don’t like it all.
I think it’s a crutch.

And the frantic control movements in the video are mostly unnecessary. Just keep the rudder stable and only correct trends.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 04 Jul 22:01
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Those of us who learned to fly in planes with no flaps, simultaneously learned to utilize and enjoy slipping. It’s a completely routine aircraft control technique that I used on virtually every landing approach at that time.

To counteract crosswinds, I tend to do whatever feels right and works for a given aircraft. Then arriving the end of the runway you need to make sure the aircraft is aligned with the direction you’re moving… unless of course you’re flying an Ercoupe, Airbus or similar

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jul 22:11

Alexis wrote:

Flying a whole final in the slip does not make much sense

Why not? In a tail dragger, or a very light aircraft, like a microlight, or the Aquila for that matter, it’s preferable to get wing into the wind down, and land on one wheel, for slightly different reasons. I honestly don’t remember what I was taught in PPL (a C-172 fixes most pilot hick ups all by itself), but with the Pawnee or Cub it certainly feels like the right thing to do.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Because in the sideslip, when the airplane is cross controlled, the stall speed is higher and it’s not great for passenger comfort.
Of course it “can” be done, but the crab is the easier to fly and more efficient method until short final where you start your transition to “wing low”.

LeSving wrote:

, but with the Pawnee or Cub it certainly feels like the right thing to do.

There are two ways of finishing a crabbed approach — either kick the aircraft straight with rudder immedeatly before touchdown or transition to wing low on very short final (over the threshold). I use the latter method and it works weĺl also with Pawnees and Cubs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

EuroFlyer wrote:

I also don’t use the side slip. And passengers don’t like it all.

Well, that depends on the passengers, no?
I normally use the crab until threshold and the low wing after that with the Europa (Trigear). If I become aware, that I’m too high, I make use of a sideslip at any stage of the approach, which works well, even with full flaps. It’s a great tool and it’s fun Plus it offers you much more options when the engine quits….

EDLE

When we came in slightly to high for one of our engine out landings during the checkout, my examiner recommend S-turns to lose altitude. Can also be combined with slipping. Of course this is not the best idea with strong crosswind I think, but as we were talking about slipping it came to my mind.

Airborne_Again wrote:

There are two ways of finishing a crabbed approach — either kick the aircraft straight with rudder immedeatly before touchdown or transition to wing low on very short final (over the threshold). I use the latter method and it works weĺl also with Pawnees and Cubs.

Now that you spelled that out I realized that until now I always made an instinctive decision for either method on short final. I never really thought about it. I think I might need a more conscious plan on final…or is doing it instinctively a good thing?

Last Edited by MedEwok at 05 Jul 07:10
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message