Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Implementing SOPs

In the background whilst I’ve been very busy editing vlogs, creating blogs I’ve been working on a project to improve my standards of flying – IFR.
You can read more on my website about Implementing SOPs in full; https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/implementing-sops/

After gaining my Instrument Rating, COVID constricted my initial flights to the UK only and any international trip I did was pretty local and within 2-3 hours. Despite 35 hours of local training and the ATO part being rather intense with the weather, most flights post IR issues were benign.

In June 2022, once worldwide COVID restrictions had firmly been lifted I flew with a fellow IFR pilot to the Czech Republic and returned via Germany. On the flight to Prague, we had 3 hours of avoiding Thunderstorms and convective build-ups in what was a relatively benign point-to-point flight. In the final hour of this sector, things became interesting, frontal IMC that we couldn’t outclimb and a fairly low icing level for Summer (10000ft) prevailed from the Czech FIR boundary till landing.

Because of a lack of SOPs, and a true understanding of a proper brief well before the approach – things quickly fell apart, although a safe outcome concluded, fellow PPL SEP IR veteran Stefan gave me some tips and insight that became a catalyst for me to re-develop my checklists and introduce some SOPs.

This quickly became the catalyst to improve my level of flying or get caught short. I re-developed my original checklist and started work on other aspects;

First things first was the update of the;

• Normal Ops Checklist
  • QRH (Performance figures etc on A5 format/laminate)

This was followed by the first creation of the;

• Abnormal OPS Checklists
  • Emergency OPS Checklists

Work currently is taking part on the IFR OPS document;

• The IFR manual will contain everything because that is the bible of all the information I am sourcing to create all aspects used in flight.

During Autumn 2022 I decided to work on some procedures and test them with a fellow IFR pilot. I flew the aircraft to Belgium and back, to further improve what I developed over the Summer.

Part 1 of 2 – The start of working on set standard operating procedures in the challenging IFR single pilot environment in the Diamond DA40. Brushing up and improving the process of briefings and callouts to boost situational awareness. Join us as we fly the aircraft to Oostende-Brugge International Airport from London, for a first-time visit on only my 3rd attempt. We conduct an ILS Approach into Runway 26 at EBOS.

Part 2 of 2 – A continuation of set standard operating procedures in the challenging IFR single pilot environment in the Diamond DA40. Brushing up and improving the process of briefings and callouts to boost situational awareness. Join us as we fly the aircraft from Oostende-Brugge International Airport to London, as we work on the SOPs at a larger airport. We conduct an Instrument Departure from Runway 26 at EBOS.

Whilst I am still working on the IFR manual and more informed QRH; The outcome is the simplicity of flying IFR, whilst maintaining the highest of standards for many journeys to come – creating consistency and a decrease in the amount of errors made. In the example video below; I put to good use SOPs such as briefings and callouts as described in more detail above.

In 2023 I managed to fly 8,000 miles by light aircraft and fly 90% of my planned trips – ALL IFR using these SOPs. You can read more on my website about Implementing SOPs in full; https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/implementing-sops/

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I included an update to my NORMAL checklist where an oversight meant I did not include the AIDE-MEMOIR for the passenger brief.

The NEXT part of this project, I’ll be looking at getting my QRH updated and uploaded in full as soon as time allows.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 23 Mar 11:38
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

the AIDE-MEMOIR for the passenger brief.

That’s a handful. Do you pax really remember all that after you’ve told them?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s a handful. Do you pax really remember all that after you’ve told them?

It’s mostly like a crib sheet to discuss aspects that are prominent for a pre-flight briefing. For example mentioning to the passengers, that the weather into Amsterdam is likely to be IFR and I will need to concentrate. You likely won’t see the ground till the last minute, so don’t worry, let me concentrate and I’ll speak if I need to let you know anything.

Another one I can think of is, compared to Stapleford where it’s fairly relaxed – landing at a place like Zurich – I don’t want the passengers leaving till I’ve got out, chocked the aircraft or the handlers have and they have high vis jackets on. I’d probably brief things like that – but mostly during the approach brief before landing rather than the pre-flight.

It’s just pointers for me to look at, and go, right, I’ll mention this today based on what I’ve seen.

EGSG, United Kingdom

@pilotrobbie I think what you’re doing is great! I’m trying to put together my own SOPs as well. I was wondering, did you maybe find any guidance material on callouts specifically?

ELLX, Luxembourg

hazek wrote:

@pilotrobbie I think what you’re doing is great! I’m trying to put together my own SOPs as well. I was wondering, did you maybe find any guidance material on callouts specifically?

Thanks for replying. If you need any help or guidance, let me know via email or something. In terms of GM for callouts – I just did a quick Google, as most of what I created was from my memory of flying for BA and what they used when I FDJ’d on duty.

This has some info; https://skybrary.aero/articles/standard-calls-oghfa-bn

Maybe someone else will know who’s in the know, where the relevant EASA documents are, because it’s definitely a thing, but probably in the AOM for each specific aircraft type, i.e. Airbus or Boeing.

EGSG, United Kingdom

That’s a pretty good link, thanks.

Found also this, that you might be interested in: https://www.icao.int/ESAF/Documents/meetings/2017/AFI%20FOSAS%202017/Day%201%20Docs/Day_1_3_SOP.pdf

Last Edited by hazek at 24 Mar 08:52
ELLX, Luxembourg

hazek wrote:

That’s a pretty good link, thanks.

Found also this, that you might be interested in: https://www.icao.int/ESAF/Documents/meetings/2017/AFI%20FOSAS%202017/Day%201%20Docs/Day_1_3_SOP.pdf

Perfect – I’ll look at this when I look to enhance my QRH and the IFR Ops Manual that will define the SOPs I use.

I’ll publish a sample copy on my website in the future.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Wow. With passengers I usually just tell them it will be a nice flight and to point out anything interesting and we can go have a look at it. Maybe a comment about the radio, controls and life jacket location if appropriate.

I think they want a nice flight not some mini airliner.

They generally like the idea that we can do what we want rather than the typical airline experience of being told what to do. Usually even better if you give them the controls for a while. This highlights the joy and freedom of GA vs airliners.

The only SOP I have is to never have the prop spinning with a passenger outside.

Last Edited by Canuck at 25 Mar 13:13
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Well… I always give my pax a safety briefing including items such as how to evacuate the aircraft, where the fire extinguisher is, how (not) to use the life vest, to not put their feet on the pedals, sterile cockpit during take-off and landing etc. I don’t see that is in conflict with the joy and freedom of GA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message