Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

EASA/UK approved ATOs outside Europe, and acceptance of EASA/UK training done outside Europe

This thread is for both the general situation per the subject title, and post-brexit UK licenses

Just come across this:

ORA.ATO.150 from COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 290/2012 allows EASA IR training to be conducted outside EASA member states (i.e. the USA).

When the ATO is approved to provide training for the instrument rating (IR) in third countries:
(a) the training programme shall include acclimatisation flying in one of the Member States before the IR skill test is taken; and
(b) the IR skill test shall be taken in one of the Member States.

This is the only FTO currently approved under this. They are in Florida.

This is good news, although obviously the "acclimatisation flying in one of the Member States" is a license to take some money off everybody who has followed this route - like the old scam of the "170A flight test".

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting but I wonder how you determine "acclimatisation" as the weather is so varied across Europe, or do you think its not a reference to weather, rather more like getting used to the differences in flight planning or local nuances?

"acclimatization" should be seen as "familiarization" in this context.

If you learn in the US but then take a skill test in Euroland, you wouldn't even manage to file a flight plan without "acclimatization".

Although I am not sure an IR taken in Europe teaches you to file a real world flight plan...

EGTK Oxford

I think you are right about that Jason. When I did my IR here, all IFR flight plans were filed using the DFS AIS (national ATC). They still offer manual processing of incorrect flight plans and call you back in case they need additional input. All of my IR instructors were unable to file a correct flight plan and relied on DFS figuring out their intentions. One of them relies on the Ops department of his airline for his daily job and the other one only flies IFR as instructor. None of them even knew about Eurocontrol.

On the other hand, that's not tragic. One can figure out this stuff fairly quickly after getting the license. It was much more difficult some years ago, the most difficult time being the first few years of Eurocontrol where tools such as RocketRoute were not available.

This list is quite interesting. There are more than I thought even in the USA.

Background here

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mostly Ex CAA approved FTOS

It’s one more than I expected (for US) and one is listed twice. ;-)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

EASA CB-IR partly in the US ?

Hi everyone,
I’m new on euroGA.
Congratulations for this great site.
Being bored of canceling VFR flights or taking risks, I’d like to add a CB-IR to my PPL.

To decrease cost and/or experience a new environment, I’d like to know if any FTO proposes to do part of the flying instruction in the US or in a cheap country (Spain, Eastern Europe).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

[email protected]

LFLY, France

to do part of the flying instruction in the US or in a cheap country (Spain, Eastern Europe).

The cost chiefly depends on the cost to operate the airplane. The instructor is somewhere between oil burn and tyre wear… The biggest cost for operating an aircraft is the fuel. Avgas in Spain is 3€/l which makes it one of the most expensive places in Europe. In the US it is certainly cheaper but you need to have the opportunity to go there which also comes at a cost. Italy, Greece also have very high fuel costs. France is actually quite attractive!

When I looked into a PPL-H lately, I found that Serbia was very attractive from a cost perspective.

183 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top