Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA/UK approved ATOs outside Europe, and acceptance of EASA/UK training done outside Europe

According to widely publicised stuff at the time, this 50hrs was inserted on the insistence of the FTO industry, to protect it from large number of CPL/IR ATPL students going to the USA and coming back and converting immediately, and by sitting the 14 EASA exams at a ground school FTO, and doing the EASA CPL (which is something like 20hrs of fairly easy dual VFR), and shorting out the traditional European CPL/IR route.

Only a small % of the ATPL student intake will have the stomach for going to the USA (with all the TSA/visa hassle etc) and then have to build 50hrs, which is quite expensive especially in Europe.

So clearly the intention was to make this 50hrs a post-rating acquisition. That works well for experienced private pilots (i.e. gradually eliminating the European N-reg community) while protecting the FTO industry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And one would assume IMC rating holders to

chflyer wrote:

Is it an EASA rule?

Per FAA rules a pilot, whether acting as PIC or not, may log PIC time anytime in which he/she is sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which he/she is rated (FAR 61.51)

In short – yes. The regulations specify which experience requirements you need to get a licence under these regulations, so of what is acceptable depends on the regulation of the licence you want, not the country you fly in of the licence you use at the time.

The only practical way is to have two logbooks, or one logbook for FAA and one for EASA, or a spreadsheet / electronic logbook that can do both in parallel.

It is worth noting that in control-freak Europe, you have to log all flying you do, while in the land-of-the-free US in private ops you only have to log flying time required to get licences or meet recency requirement, so once you have a PPL/IR you can just log your three approaches and landings, and your approaches and holds for the IR, and that is it (unless you want a CPL or ATPL later)

Biggin Hill

Any how many private pilots with both FAA & EASA licences actually really keep 2 logbooks (incl electronically)? I suspect the number is approaching the limit of 0.

I’d be interested to hear how pilots with 20+ years of flying on an FAA licence (without any documentation of EASA IFR PIC time) who try to convert/add an EASA licence would document this IFR PIC time on the application.

LSZK, Switzerland

One you have your FAA IR, logging instrument time is no good for anything. The only thing worth logging is IFR time (for a future EASA validation/conversion). Hence, since I got my FAA IR in 2001, the only thing I ever logged was IFR time.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for that @boscomantico. A good tip.

How do the various EASA lands validate IFR time when applying for addition of an EASA licence (incl IR) to an FAA/TC IR licence if IFR time (i.e. IFR FPL time) hasn’t been specifically logged over the years? I assume they have access to Eurocontrol records, but not likely anywhere else.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

How do the various EASA lands validate IFR time when applying for addition of an EASA licence (incl IR) to an FAA/TC IR licence if IFR time (i.e. IFR FPL time) hasn’t been specifically logged over the years?
PROB99 they will believe what you state on your application – just as in any other case when it comes to logged flight times. Verifying IFR time is practically impossible, as in many European countries you can fly IFR under certain circumstances without ever getting into the Eurocontrol system. However, I would really think twice about falsifying flight time or training records as it might lead to serious consequences should you get caught. A famous former German ATO, which did this systematically, comes to mind – ending in license revocations years later, hefty fines and other things…
Last Edited by tschnell at 18 Nov 10:40
Friedrichshafen EDNY

It is worth noting that in control-freak Europe, you have to log all flying you do

Is it a legal (EASA) requirement to keep a logbook?

If you do not keep a logbook how do you document the 6 approaches and 1 hold in the preceding 6 months (for FAA IR currency)? How do you document your 3 (or 5) night/day wheels/ski/floats landings in the last 90 days? When you are asked for your flight hours during renewal of medical, how do you answer?

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

Is it a legal (EASA) requirement to keep a logbook?
Affirm – see FCL.050:
The pilot shall keep a reliable record of the details of all flights flown in a form and manner established by the competent authority.

Aviathor wrote:

If you do not keep a logbook how do you document the 6 approaches and 1 hold in the preceding 6 months (for FAA IR currency)? How do you document your 3 (or 5) night/day wheels/ski/floats landings in the last 90 days?
See Cobalt’s post: In FAA-land you need to log what is required for a rating/certificate/currency etc., but nothing on top of that.
Last Edited by tschnell at 18 Nov 11:14
Friedrichshafen EDNY

I have been keeping a single (Norwegian – from before JAA and EASA) logbook for 25 y which is almost full and will be succeeded by a EASA logbook. I have never kept a FAA logbook and the Americans never required me to keep one. All my US endorsements etc are on the cover pages of the European logbook.

At one point I began to do double record keeping by starting an excel spreadsheet which allows me to perform some analytics. I eventually copied all my entries to the Excel spreadsheet so it also contains 25 years of flying.

When I did the IR conversion (CB-IR), I seem to remember I submitted an extraction from the Excel spreadsheet to document my IFR PIC time together with a copy of my written logbook.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Nov 11:42
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message