Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA/UK approved ATOs outside Europe, and acceptance of EASA/UK training done outside Europe

How about FAA IR then on return to Europe training as required plus test.

Bathman wrote:

How about FAA IR then on return to Europe training as required plus test.

FAA IR + 50 hrs PIC under IFR + familiriasation with relevant EASA regulations and flight planning + skill test

And all preferably before April 2019

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Nov 21:24
LFPT, LFPN

I thought that if you had a ICAO IR you could simply sit the IR test in EASA land

Bathman wrote:

I thought that if you had a ICAO IR you could simply sit the IR test in EASA land

Please refer to Part-FCL Appendix 6, Section Aa:

8. Applicants for the competency-based modular IR holding a Part-FCL PPL or CPL and a valid IR issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be credited in full towards the training course mentioned in paragraph 4. In order to be issued the IR, the applicant shall:
(a) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;
(b) demonstrate to the examiner during the skill test that he/she has acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology and flight planning and performance (IR); and
(c) have a minimum experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes

You do not need to sit any TK exam. You need 50 hrs PIC under IFR and the skill test. But during the skill test, prior to the flight, the examiner is supposed to give you an aural examination in the subjects mentioned above. And if you get the FAA IR and are not familiar with IFR flight planning and flying in Europe, in order to pass the skill test you should familiarise yourself with the European IFR environment and flight planning prior to the skill test.

I did the conversion in 2014 and spent quite a bit of time reading FCL and OPS regulations in preparation. At that time I already had flown a few hundred hours IFR in Europe on my FAA IR.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 17 Nov 07:55
LFPT, LFPN

Thank you

The 50hr bit oscillated a few times between “IFR time” and “instrument time” and to the surprise of UK pilots EASA settled on “IFR time”. Surprising because you can log IFR time on a plain PPL, in CAVOK, just by flying in accordance with instrument flight rules i.e. whole-number flight level, etc.

Whether the IR examiner doing the IR test will accept that is another matter…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Check the Portuguese / Spain schools, they probably have much lower rates than Switzerland

Aviathor wrote:

And all preferably before April 2019

Is anyone offering odds on whether this is (yet again) a ‘hard’ or ’soft date?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes

It’s worth highlighting that the IFR time logged must be as PIC, so excludes any training/dual time prior to being qualified.
A few newly qualified FAA IRs have been caught out overlooking that.

But as mentioned above, it can include lots of time in gin-clear VMC.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

It’s worth highlighting that the IFR time logged must be as PIC, so excludes any training/dual time prior to being qualified.

Is it an EASA rule?

Per FAA rules a pilot, whether acting as PIC or not, may log PIC time anytime in which he/she is sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which he/she is rated (FAR 61.51). This is true regardless of weather conditions, whether VFR or IFR, simulated or actual. This includes any IFR training/dual time prior to being IFR qualified. The FAA makes a distinction here between aircraft PIC and logging PIC time. In the case of IFR training/dual flight, both a non-rated pilot and instructor may log PIC time.

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 Nov 13:36
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message