Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Impressions from my completed journey towards the CB-IR

Capitaine wrote:

Thank you Udo for taking the time

You’re welcome @Capitaine Glad that I can bring in something here.

Maybe I can put it in some printable form sooner or later and merge what I refer to in form of the links into the text.

I noted that there really is few information available on what it takes to do the IR. I wanted to show it in the vivid form that I lived it. And to put in that it’s possible even when there’s a life beside flying.

Among other information that I would add is that for one hour of instrument flight time I had to invest about 3.5 hours of “block time” – that is including the weather briefing, preparing the flight plans and approaches, driving to the airfield and back. When I had about 2.5 hours of IFT in a typical training session this totalled not less than a day’s working time. This time can decrease significantly if the training is done in easier weather conditions and if not so many different airports are approached as I did, to thus “recycle” the flight plans. However I cannot emphasize enough the amount of experience that I accumulated by doing it the way I did.

What I really like about the actual available training forms (be it CB-IR or BIR) is that you can take into account what both the learner and the teacher bring to the training. The minimum requirement is what has to be achieved in the exam. But it’s not limited to this. I did lots of things in my training that I highly appreciate but that’s unrelated to the exam itself.

Germany

Peter wrote:

Although funnily enough (as often posted years ago) EIR+IMCR is actually practically equivalent to a full IR since the UK has no IAPs in Class A anymore.

Except that neither EIR nor IRR are ICAO compliant so they wouldn’t be recognised outside the UK.

EGKR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

DPEs are not allowed to conduct a checkride in IMC

I think that may be a personal preference

Errr…no. It’s actually quite simple: for any FAA checkride you, the applicant, are PIC. As you don’t – yet – have an IR, you cannot legally be PIC in IMC. Makes sense?

The DPE can be PIC.

In the UK, historically, in FAA checkrides in G-regs, a UK FI sat RHS and the DPE sat in the back, because the DPE didn’t have the papers to be PIC in a G-reg. But in the US he can be. In an N-reg in Europe he can’t be due to the Brussels dual-papers reg, unless he has dual papers, which he won’t have, and one way around that is for the pilot (PPL) to stay in VMC, another way is for the UK pilot to have PPL+IMCR. But that’s a different discussion.

The EIR is useless and always was, for the many reasons discussed in the EIR thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, @Peter, in the US he cannot be PIC. Doesn’t matter what was done in the UK, my comment was about the US.

In Germany the examiner is PIC during the exam. In fact it sounds a bit dull when the student is PIC during exam @172driver because then obviously an IR exam has to be flown in VMC.

Germany

Exactly. That’s why mine got rescheduled a couple of times.

Uk IR exams don’t have to be done in VMC.

United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

In fact it sounds a bit dull when the student is PIC during exam 172driver because then obviously an IR exam has to be flown in VMC.

Not in the UK – most tests require Class A entry, which is not available to the non-IR holders. :)
Here the CAA calls it confusingly P1/S (P1 under supervision) if you succeed and P/UT (pilot under training) otherwise.

EGTR

Udo could have done a minimalist BIR followed by trips with his mentor in his plane to gain experience. He got to the IR with no big issues. Happy end. Again, congratulations. I hope it will bring your family great memories.

An IR doesn’t take “years” unless you are fitting the training in around your “family life” or whatever.

So what ? One should organise his family life around his flight training ? It’s a great way to wreck your life and the one of those around you.

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message