Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Options to finish my BIR

My school is closing end of this month (in 3 days) without letting us finish our trainings… so I find myself with more than 20h ifr, BIR theory, IFR RT, but no ATO to finish it.
I’m based in Lelystad (Netherlands) and I preferably would like to continue the training with my own plane (DA40 TDI).

I guess my only option is to find an ATO to endorse me for the checkride, am I correct?

I have the option to continue in a neighbour school but they only do IR, so I should go again and pass the theory exams for it, plus the extra flying hours until 50h (we think I’m almost there, max 10 more hours), so I don’t see it as a real option for me.

Anybody knows of a flying school in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Denmark where I could finish it? If it’s far away I would be ok with flying their airplanes, in an intensive week or so.

Thanks!

EHLE, Netherlands

I will PN you. Your plane will be added to ATO and you can finish the training, no problem.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Brussels aviation school in Charleroi offers the BIR (and not CBIR/IR). Just finished my night rating with them and am considering starting the BIR.

ji
EBGB EBAW, Belgium

I am also trying to finish my BIR in NL, I will PM you.

EHLE, Netherlands

Thanks for the answers!

I was also checking the regulations and I found out that I might be able to finish with my current instructor, outside the ATO!

I hope this means that having the completion forms for module 1 and 2 from the ATO I can just do the rest with my instructor and direct to the checkride without the ATO having to do anything?

EHLE, Netherlands

Not sure about that, curious to see what more knowledgable people will say, but for reference, this is what KIWA will ask to issue the license:

You must submit the following:
The fully-completed application form
A copy of your valid medical certificate
A copy of the IR or BIR theoretical results attained (applicable for PPL)
copy of the course completion certificate (see the FAQ’s on our website for the content/guidelines)
A copy of the ATO approval (if the training took place at a non-Dutch EASA training organisation)
A copy of the IR or BIR practical exam with the correct flight test schedule (FTS)
A copy of the licence of the examiner (if the practical exam is conducted by a non-Dutch EASA examiner)
A copy of the examiner certificate (if the practical exam is conducted by a non-Dutch EASA examiner)
Note: For the IR to be issued, you must be a holder of a relevant valid type or class.

https://www.kiwaregister.com/en/air/part-fcl-licence-for-pilots/aircraft/ratings-and-remarks/amendment

“course completion certificate” seems to be the important piece here that needs to be issued by the ATO.

Last Edited by hmng at 29 Mar 11:13
EHLE, Netherlands

That’s the part that I don’t see specified in the EASA document. It says that module 1 and 2 have to be completed at an ATO, but does that mean I can complete them at the ATO and then complete module 3 outside? Or should the ATO part be the last one?

EHLE, Netherlands

joanplanas wrote:

That’s the part that I don’t see specified in the EASA document. It says that module 1 and 2 have to be completed at an ATO, but does that mean I can complete them at the ATO and then complete module 3 outside? Or should the ATO part be the last one?

I understand it as that you could start them anywhere and do all you need to reach the required level of profficiency. After that you come to ATO, they verify all is good, help you with a thing or two (they should really know what kind curve balls to expects from the local examiners), and then recommend for the exam.
So I think that if you have your theory done and had enought training with a freelance IR instructor (@Snoopy might help, for example), you just go another ATO (with medical, license, logbook(s) and theory exam transcripts), show them what you can do and they prep you quickly for the test.

EGTR

joanplanas wrote:

It says that module 1 and 2 have to be completed at an ATO, but does that mean I can complete them at the ATO and then complete module 3 outside?

Yes, basic and procedures module at ATO. Enroute can be done outside with instructor.

always learning
LO__, Austria

That is clear, but is there an order to it? Can I get the completion certificates from the ATO for module 1 and 2 and then do module 3 out of it? Or must the last step be done at the ATO? Because that is a huge difference in my case…

EHLE, Netherlands
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message