Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exams: CPL only (13) versus ATPL (14, now 13)

For me, if I wanted the HPA (I might for the Lancair Evolution TP if IFR etc is ever possible pan-Europe in it) I would use the FAA ATPL exam route which, despite the recent massive hardening of it, is still less work than the 14 ATPL exams. I already have the FAA CPL/IR which is a pre-requisite for sitting that exam.

Why wouldn’t you just do the HPA course at an ATO like CATS? It’s not a long course and there’s a 1 day classroom session plus an in house exam (it’s a test devised by the ATO not a CAA exam)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter – I reckon 20% at best

Now retired from forums best wishes

I would use the FAA ATPL exam route which, despite the recent massive hardening of it, is still less work than the 14 ATPL exams. I already have the FAA CPL/IR which is a pre-requisite for sitting that exam.

There has been no hardening of the exam itself, just the requirements to sit the multi engine exam. You can get a SE ATP same as before. To do the FAA written you don’t need to have a CPL/IR.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Nov 21:25
EGTK Oxford

Significant extra work for the FAA ATPL

To do the FAA written you don’t need to have a CPL/IR.

So what do you need?

Last time I looked into this, you needed to have the FAA CPL to sit the FAA ATPL written exam.

I reckon 20% at best

Many thanks Balliol… how does the question count for the exams compare? Someone told me it is 30 v 45 (for example).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No. You need a CPL/IR to take the flight test. You also need hours etc but not to take the written. This is true for the SE ATP. Your linked list incorrectly states that there is no SE ATP.

It used to also be true for the ME but that has now changed and you must have an ATP Certification Training Programme Certificate to take the written.

EGTK Oxford

I’ve just finished ATPLin October, having initially started CPL. The school (ProPilot in Coventry) advised me to do the extra just to kill everything off and estimated it at 15%.

I managed to organise myself to do them during a work break and did all 14 in 6 months, it’s not particularly difficult, just voluminous!

The main difference come in Mass and balance where in addition to SEP and MEP questions you get MRJT (medium range jet transport) questions based on a 737. Same applies in Performance and Flight Planning.

In Principles of Flight there is the high speed flight stuff which you don’t do if you’re only doing CPL. I think there’s about 5 chapters.

Without hesitation I would say if you’re thinking of doing CPL just go for the lot and do ATPL.

Oxford and Bidford

Hi everyone.

you have a CPL/IR, though it can never be upgraded to an ATPL

What do you mean? As far as I know, your flight hours count and you get credited for theoretical knowledge for both (250 hours for CPL and 150 for IR, I think). Which should leave you with 250 hours of mandatory classroom. If it’s a distance course, I think you can do up to 90 % from home. You just have to do all the exams as they are a bit different. Don’t you have modular ATPL courses in the UK?

1500hrs of which 500 are in a multi pilot a/c

Not correct, if I’m not mistaken. It should be 500 hours in multi-pilot operation. Single-pilot aeroplanes can be operated by multi-pilot crew and it should count as multi-pilot operation.

which as I say is worth a lot less now than pre-CB-IR

CB-IR is indeed very interesting for private pilots. However, EIR and CB-IR don’t cover HPA aeroplanes from what I read and heard. Not sure what it means. The worst case scenario probably is that you would need “full” IR in order to get a rating.

[edit: grammar]

Last Edited by Martin at 18 Nov 23:07

A CB-IR is a full IR.

EGTK Oxford

A CB-IR is a full IR.

Indeed, but it’s a dead end if you are doing the HPA route via the ICAO ATPL exam passes.

It has been suggested that the CB-IR flight training process will become the standard ATO route for the IR portion of the CPL/IR (how else can they be training the IR portion – will they pretend nothing has changed and train the full 55hr JAA ME IR?) while of course all the cadets will still be doing the full 14 ATPL exams. So if one of them has a flash of revelation and rich parents and instead of ending up RHS in an A320 he escapes into GA and buys a Jetprop, he will already be covered for the EASA HPA.

EIR and CB-IR don’t cover HPA aeroplanes from what I read and heard. Not sure what it means. The worst case scenario probably is that you would need “full” IR in order to get a rating

Would you have a reference, Martin?

Apart from the obvious fact that the EIR is going to be of little practical use in any “HPA” aircraft, you can fly any single pilot aircraft IFR on a PPL/IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EIR and CB-IR don’t cover HPA aeroplanes from what I read and heard. Not sure what it means. The worst case scenario probably is that you would need “full” IR in order to get a rating

Nor does the old IR route. Unless you have an ATPL exam pass, you would need to do a separate HPA course.

The CB-IR theory does not give the same credit towards the CPL exams as the old IR theory. This is the only difference between getting your IR via the CB-IR route and the old way. The CB-IR itself is no different; its just a different route to the same qualification.

It has been suggested that the CB-IR flight training process will become the standard ATO route for the IR portion of the CPL/IR

This won’t be applicable to integrated courses. A modular student could save 10 hours on the old course, which is definitely worth it! However, I don’t think there will be much opportunity for these students to train outside an ATO.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 19 Nov 08:37
EGEO
Sign in to add your message