Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

Well woohoo! I finally got around doing some exams and yesterday I took Met and Instruments and by the looks of it, I passed them both. Should get it in writing next week. I’ve passed the practical RT exam too, so it’s down to five now. The school at my homebase sorted everything out concerning their practical EIR syllabus, so I hope to start flying this August. Earlier in this thread aviation exam was recommended to me, and I have to say, it made all the difference. I read and re-read the theoretical syllabus, after that I only practiced exams on my smartphone every free minute for the last week and a half before the exams. Worked fine for me.

Last Edited by Bobo at 22 Jun 07:01
EHTE, Netherlands

Very good news! Keep going!

LFPT, LFPN

Congrats! Well done.
I did the last exams in januari and have been training since. I am at about 15 hours now, but VCR (my FTO) has added 5 hours to the syllabus for safety (they think 15hrs are not enough).

In order to fly IFR enoute-only? That’s incredible.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Indeed. RNAV was now added as well (haven’t seen the content yet), but you also have to know about flying holdings and NDB intercepts, partial panel, etc. It’s basically everything except approaches.

Don’t they cover approaches to some degree – because in an emergency you need to get down on the ground somehow. I think at least an ILS should be taught; in Europe one can usually plan a destination with an ILS, and an ILS is quite easy to fly to an adequate standard. Descending to the sector MSA is no good…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Officially they must be demonstrated, not practised.
Because i fly from an Instrument field, we end every lesson with an ILS of VOR-DME approach, very useful i must say. I can safely fly an ILS now in complete IMC.

NDB intercepts are useless for real world IR Enroute flying.

When ATC assigns you an ndb in the enroute phase of the flight, the chance that you can actually receive it is close to zero.

It’s only interesting for the training industry because one can spend many hours on it.

Agreed, and same for VORs.

NDB approaches separate real men from goats It’s a bit like the circular slide rule in the PPL.

There will always be many NDB approaches, especially in S Europe – because an NDB is the cheapest way of making an airport “IFR” which is a legal requirement for most AOC (charter and scheduled) flights. But one actually flies these approaches using the GPS, and the commercials fly them with GPS or FMS while “officially” keeping half an eye on the ADF. The emperor has no clothes but that’s OK…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So, in real world IFR, when you get an NDB as waypoint, you dial it into the GPS? ;-)
But indeed, spend many hours getting familiar with that.

Sign in to add your message