Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

lowandslow wrote:

(ii) When the applicant has prior instrument flight time under instruction other than specified in point (a)(i), these hours may be credited towards the required 40 hours up to a maximum of 15 hours.

You can credit some hours in CBIR,

• 15h dual out of 25h dual with any ‘IFR instructor’, only 10h has to be with the ‘ATO IRI’
  • 30h solo on any ‘solo IFR experience’

Remember what matters is not what you have in logbook,

• How you nail your initial CBIR acceptance ride
  • How you fly IRT exam (‘real experience’ could be drawback in some setups)

That usually determines how many hours you need, usually a pilot with previous experience may need between 10h-25h to pass course & test
The key factors are availability of procedures at home-base, easy aircraft avionics and easy airspace…rather than pilot logbook

If you are going for ADF, you may need 100h these days as IRI/IRE tend to score NDB final or hold flying using GPS logs from ForeFlight or SkyDemon tablets instead of raw data, the target function you are trying to optimize is rather tricky

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Dec 11:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

100hrs???? I don’t understand the above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

100hrs???? I don’t understand the above

I am saying if an FTO wants to milk some wannabe CBIR pilot they tend to add lot ADF in his CBIR entry test and CBIR tailored syllabus…I have seen it with my eyes: daylight theft, I told them to ‘f****f’

I went elsewhere, where I managed CBIR with 14h including test

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Dec 11:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Reviving this thread a little, has anyone been able to successfully obtain a EASA IR thanks to the CB/IR route ?
How easy / hard was it, how did it happen overall ? Was it hard getting accepted in an ATO (for the last 10 hrs) ?

It’s my understanding that the regulations somewhat hit the mark on doing something attractive for pilots, making potentially IR easier to obtain for private pilots now. So a few pilots should definitely have been able to obtain it.

France

@Ibra, are you able to mention which ATO you used ?

United Kingdom

The EASA IR from CBIR? AiUI they are the same thing. In France, its very easy, depending on region, to do all hours except for the 10 with ATO in a club. The club often has an arrangement with an ATO.
If you already have IFR experience or training (it doesn’t have to be under IMC) just go to an ATO with your log book and any proof of IFR training or IFR qualification and they will assess the requirement before taking the flight test.

France

Reviving this thread a little, has anyone been able to successfully obtain a EASA IR thanks to the CB/IR route ?

Why would you do that now that BASA is available? (Assuming you have an FAA IR with at least 50 hrs IFR PIC). That doesn’t require any formal training at all, just a checkride with an examiner. Of course you’ll need some training and practice on the way things are done in your country, but you don’t need an ATO and you don’t need any officially logged ground training.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Why would you do that now that BASA is available?

I understand the BASA route makes sense if you already have a FAA IR, which I don’t (and don’t plan on having, except if it’s an optimal route).
However, the BIR → CBIR route has been mentioned here, it does seem more efficient than going directly for CBIR (which requires either simulator time or an instructor to build IFR time). As for ICAO IR vs CBIR, I’m still a little lost in the details, that’s why I wanted to hear real pilot stories of how it all went :)

gallois wrote:

The club often has an arrangement with an ATO.

The clubs I’ve found around Paris which have cheap(-ish) IFR aircrafts are all ATOs anyway. So I was thinking probably rent aircraft + instructor for training (and possibly IFR time).

My question was more about what route some real pilots went with and how it all worked out.

France

What is your definition of a real pilot?
If you mean a PPL with an IR then that would include me.
I had PPL and MEP. I went to an ATO for my annual MEP revalidation. The CBIR had just been introduced and I asked about what it would take to get it. The head of training looked at my log books which included some IFR experience many years before and devised a programme which included FNPT2 time in a DA42 simulator plus flight time under IFR in a DA40D both G1000. I would take the SEIR flight test first and then a further flight with examiner to get my MEIR (not actually termed an exam. They were at pains to point that out. Its a terminology thing as with an examiner I did much the same flight test for the MEIR as I had done for the SEIR.)There would also be several hours of theory in the ATO which was to include the PBN theory to get that added to my licence.
IR theory and exams I had already done with Mermoz and the DGAC pôle examen at Rungis near Orly.
In all I did about 12 hours flying and simulator time at the ATO before the flight tests each around 1.5hours to 2 hours.
Does that help?

France

Hello Max,

I’ve got my Instrument Rating through CBIR.
I did it the year after my PPL with an ATO in Annecy.

I don’t really understand what you means “ICAO IR vs CBIR”. An IR done through the CBIR route is 100% ICAO compliant.

The route to add an IR to a PPL through CBIR is pretty straightforward. The details can change depending on your previous IFR experience.
About BIR first and then CBIR, I can’t judge. When I did my CBIR in 2021, the BIR was not yet fully in place and I decided to go to the IR directly.

If you could share what are your goals with this rating, probably it will be easier to give you useful tips.

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message