Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Peter wrote:

IMHO the industry in Europe will never accept the blindingly obvious lessons from the USA i.e.

• the IR needs to be doable at any school
  • no restrictions on owner aircraft
  • no restrictions on where one flies to
  • freelance instructors and examiners
  • mostly relevant exams (preferably just one – the USA has just one exam for the ATP too!)

That’s what I did 2 years ago. Actually 37h in my (French) aero-club (aircraft and instructor) and 11h in a nearby FTO (on same aircraft). Two exams (theory and practical) plus the FCL055 to get the EASA part.
The cost: 37 flight hours employed as IFR training as I would otherwise have spent a good part in maintaining my VFR skills in only local trips. Only the 11h in a FTO add instructor fees (as aircraft rental costs in the aero-club include the instructor costs).

Lot of work though

Last Edited by Flyamax at 02 Feb 12:52
France

That’s what I did 2 years ago. Actually 37h in my (French) aero-club (aircraft and instructor) and 11h in a nearby FTO (on same aircraft). Two exams (theory and practical) plus the FCL055 to get the EASA part.

What route was that? Was it the French national IR and a conversion to an EASA IR? That route is now dead AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Exact.

France

RobertL18C wrote:

Bathman I freelance at an IR ATO and today all students (mainly working towards frozen ATPLs) avail themselves of the CBIR route.

But we do work in different parts of the country. I also moonlight and an ATO that offers CPL and IR training and it is this organization policy is not to promote the CBIR. Simply they want them to pay for the full 55 hours. The only other nearby ATO also don’t promote the CBIR and I suspect its for the same reason.

I also work at an RTF that has an IRR/IRE on staff and two IRI as well. They also have a non approved Frasca 142 simulator. They most actively promote the CBIR via the IMC route. One of their current instructors who has got a airline interview next week did it via this route and he paid 39 grand all in and that included an FI rating. I anticipate another guy getting a CPL/IR for about 35K via this route. RobertL18C wrote:

The airlines do not care, although typically you need a first time pass on your IR to get an assessment.

I agree although I’m not so sure about the first time pass bit as I don’t think they care there either.I also think that as more people train via the CBIR route and see all the benefits then it will become the defacto way of getting a CPL/IR. The bit I really can’t understand especially as the market is so buoyant is why an earth someone would pay 100K to go via the integrated route.

Last Edited by Bathman at 02 Feb 14:48

The criteria airlines use in CV screening are largely arbitrary and designed to reduce the large pile of CVs to something manageable, and get reduced to something more sensible quickly when the market tightens.

You would do the same if every job gets 1000 applications.

Biggin Hill

Does anyone has any insights on DTO? There is 2018 deadline for ATO but looks no new students after April 2017….

LKKU, LKTB

Thanks for all the information everyone.
Completely baffled at all the details involved here. Will be pretty cool if EASA finally cleans everything up.

Coming from FAA-Land, it is hard for me to comprehend so many complexities.
Makes me glad I could just do an FAA IR and be done with it.
Challenging, but clear and unilateral…

It looks like I’ll keep waiting to see what comes available wrt the EASA CBIR/BIR…

Thanks again, you’ve saved me untold hours of internet digging.

EASA has just published its opinion and proposed rules changes for the Basic Instrument Rating (BIR).

A summary:

• The rules changes for the BIR are not expected to come into force until the beginning of 2021!
  • There will be no flight time prerequisite for taking the BIR training but you must have a PPL. LAPL holders can’t have the BIR.
  • The BIR will be “fully competence-based” with no minimum training hour requirements.
  • BIR training will be divided into three/four separate modules: basic instrument flight, approaches & departures, enroute and, if applicable, asymmetric flight.
  • There will be a single theoretical examination for each of the modules.
  • The theoretical examination will not re-test PPL level knowledge and its “scope and depth” should be “broadly similar” to that of the FAA IR TK.
  • A DTO will not be allowed to train for the BIR “for the time being”, but “EASA intends to carefully monitor the implementation of Part-DTO in order to evaluate, at a later stage, whether the training scope could be extended to include further ratings.”
  • The BIR is valid for one year. Every other revalidation is done as a PC, and every other one as a one hour flight with an instructor.
  • For departures, the visibility must be at least 1500 m and the ceiling must be at least 600 ft or the circling minimum, if higher.
  • For approaches, the visibility minimum must be at least 1500 m and the pilot must add 200 ft to the (M)DH.
  • Before departure, the destination and any required alternate airports must be forecast to have a visibility of at least 1500 m and a ceiling of the highest of 600 ft, the circling minimum, and the increased (M)DH.
  • The EIR will be withdrawn. Current EIR holders may continue to use their privileges indefinitely.
Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 19 Feb 19:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Three theoretical tests for a (very restricted) single engine IR???

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Feb 17:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

The EIR will be withdrawn

What a surprise

boscomantico wrote:

a (very restricted) single engine IR

What is the restriction/differences?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message