Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

The next UBIR ticket will allow takeoff with 1499m RVR instead of 1500m RVR, the training will include the use of modified version of view limiting devices (blurried foggles) or actual departures in proper IMC weather (not Golf VMC or SVFR limits, any PPL with enough IFR training should be able to fly that)

(Joke) note that current CBIR training & exam does involve actual departures in real 400m RVR as it’s included in the privileges and as we know it’s hard to similate this using a view limiting devices (unless you make it 0m takeoff)

Ignoring 200ft/400ft DH as these can be simulated in CAVOK conditions

PS: I have met pilots who claimed they have trained & examined for 400m departures during CBIR training, this was not confirmed by instructors & schools

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 11:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Are you saying I didn’t train on occasions in 400m take offs?
I have also done my revalidations in LVP conditions for departures.
I can assure you if you didn’t take off when visi was 400m at Brest, it would take you a long time to do an IR. It is one of those places where you often get all 4 seasons in a day or even less.

Last Edited by gallois at 04 Jun 11:28
France

I did 1500m once, not on my initial training but funnily during an IR revalidation at Brest, I can assure you it’s an exception, especially 400m as you are not coming back

Obviously, not possible when doing IFR training from “VFR airports”, you will be flying PPL minima (even Class D minima as ATO don’t do DIY on GPS)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 11:39

On one revalidation at Brest I departed in LVP went to Ouessant with a 1000’ ceiling and returned to Brest an hour and a half later and 10km visibility and clear blue skies.

France

It depends on the runway width.

I’ve done ~200m vis (and cloudbase of maybe 20ft) on quite a narrow runway and it was somewhat worrying…

And with that cloudbase, one needs a very fast transition to instruments.

This isn’t legal nowadays.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Was 200m RVR during IR training & test environment? or personal flying?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 13:50

Personal.

During the IMCR I did a zero zero departure, under the hood.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quick question about BIR… if I get BIR certification without VFR Night Rating and get the Night Rating later, will I be able to do night IFR, or I do need to get get the night rating before getting BIR for this? (Wouldn’t make much sense… but…)

thanks,
Ignacio

LEMT, Spain

BIR privileges may be exercised at night only if the pilot holds a night rating in accordance with point FCL.810.

Same for the „normal“ IR.

Just get the night rating beforehand. It takes 2-3 days.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Or afterwards. Night and BIR are independent ratings. With a NR you can fly at night. With a BIR you can fly IFR. With both, you can fly IFR at night.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message