Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

arj1 wrote:

I think that has changed as per https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32020R0359&from=EN

You’re right. I should have read two more pages of the regulation document… Sorry, coopersjcw.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hello everyone,
I want to start by BIR study and I have some questions that maybe some of you can answer! (I read last 30 pages but I didn’t find any clear answers)

1) Is self-learning is possible? or I am required to register to some ATO to get referral for the CAA examinations?
2) PadPilot CB-IR books, are they relevant? or better to go with CB-IR.net series? or maybe Bristol aviation?
3) Any suggested ATO for practical training in Czech Republic or Hungary?
4) Are there minimum hours for practical training? I know that EASA rules not specify any minimum hours, but I saw some ATOs which require some amount of hours, 25-35… is it possible to find an ATO which not requires any minimum hours for practical training?
5) Is it possible to do full BIR training during VMC conditions?
6) The BIR theory, is it valid for 36 months? 24? lifetime?

Thank you in advance, I know it’s a lot of questions and that I can find answers in “Google”, but I found 10 different answers for every question and I hope someone here can help me to figure out the truth.

Also, if someone can suggest me an ATO for BIR by personal experience I will appreciate that

LKLT, Israel

@ultranomad and @pytlak may have recommendations for CZ. @Zsoszu may know about Hungary.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Try Airwin in Hungary. Complex ATO.
Contract Gabor Magyari, Head of the Training or Robert Banki, the CEO for advice. They have FNPT II, IR Aircraft as well.
Airwin.hu, text me in private if you need contact.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

The two best schools in Czechia don’t offer BIR, only full IR/PBN. I had personal experience with two schools that offer BIR, but cannot recommend them under any circumstances – one is a completely disorganised “sausage factory”, the other advertises low prices but in the end you wind up paying a lot more.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

CAAs approve or reject training programmes that are submitted to them. The submitted programme can have a minimum of hours or not.
So one ATO can be approved with no minimum and another can’t. Or one ATO could have a minimum previously and not anymore.
BIR theory exams are valid for life.

LFOU, France

BIR theory exams are valid for life.

Do you mean that you can sit the exams and then do the flight training and test 10 years later? That would really surprise me. It would be the only license or a rating which offers that.

However, in a different grammatical sense the exams are valid for ever; it is just that you have to obtain the license/rating to “lock in” that privilege. Then you can stop flying for 20 years and recover the papers just with a test. The EASA IR theory is lost after 7 years of not revalidating the IR, I believe, unless you fly on another ICAO IR in the meantime.

There are a few cases where theory only is valid for life e.g. EASA CPL theory for EASA PPL training, ICAO ATPL theory for the EASA HPA.

Administrator

You push me in my retrenchments

I am not sure if c) 1) iii) takes over b) 2)

Once all passed, they are valid for life.

LFOU, France

@Qalupalik may know. It’s ambiguous. But ( c ) iii does look amazing, in the context of that paragraph.

Administrator

Jujupilote wrote:

I am not sure if c) 1) iii) takes over b) 2)

They talk about different things.

What (b)(2) means is that once you have taken the first examination for a certificate or rating (regardless of a pass or fail), you must successfully pass all exams within 18 months, not including the month when you took the first examination.

The “clock” in (c) begins ticking once you pass the final examination for the certificate or rating.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Apr 13:02
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message